Evaluation OS

StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
Hi Everyone,

My evaluation version of xp pro is expiring in a few days and I am just wondering if anyone knows if I'm gonna be able to reinstall the same edition. Also would a repair installation do it?

If I'm not gonna be able to reinstall it, I'm gonna install xp home for the time being. If I just reinstall it over the current installation of xp pro I have, would it be removed completly or somehow be running in the background, thus causing problems on my machine?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Why not just register it? If you are using it anyway, might as well be legal.

Repair will not 'fix' an activation issue, only registering/activating will cure that.

Why drop to Home from Pro? In what capacity were you using Pro that you now want to use Home?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • StarterStarter Member Posts: 169
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Why not just register it? If you are using it anyway, might as well be legal.

Repair will not 'fix' an activation issue, only registering/activating will cure that.

Why drop to Home from Pro? In what capacity were you using Pro that you now want to use Home?

I was just using it in my home lab for MCSA and I won't need it once I have completed my MCSA.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Starter wrote:

I was just using it in my home lab for MCSA and I won't need it once I have completed my MCSA.

Sure you will. There is a great benefit (IMO) to be able to test things at home instead of at work. Besides if you will be an MCSA, you'll likely want XP Pro at home as well.

What are you currently running?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I understand I might need it. But I don't have the money for it right now. Perhaps I will get xp pro when I buy a new machine. I also have an evaluation version of server 2003 on my other machine.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you're using XP Home, you will not be able to join a domain.
    keatron wrote:
    If you're using XP Home, you will not be able to join a domain.

I am aware of that. I was just answering Plaintwiz's question on what I currently have running on my other machine when I said I have server 2003 and not saying I am planning on using it with xp home.