Options

sy0-301 or 201?

ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have a choice between these two exams. I've studied for the 201 extensively but I've also looked at the objective differences and it seems that they are all things I understand. Has anyone taken the 301? Does anyone know if there is some 'hidden' difference between the two? Is there a point in taking the 301 over the 201?

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would just take 201... There COULD be stuff thats changed from 201 - 301. I do not know. But if thats what you studied for, just take that exam. Sooner or later, 201 wont be offered anymore anyways.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    The only real reason I haven't fully made up my mind is this: Having the most up-to-date cert is ideal in terms of employment. A 2008 vs a 2011 certification could be seen as huge. But that's just my thinking.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My personal take is that's the test you've been studying for and you should stick with it unless you want to restart your studies to concentrate on the 301. It's true that some employers are concerned with the date of a certification, but most (especially in the case of entry level certs such as the Sec+) just want to see that you have a cert. Plus, the time that you would additionally spend studying for the 301 could be better put towards studying for your next cert. If you put things like MCITP:SA/EA or CCNA/CCNP (or whatever flavor of IT you plan on pursuing) next to Sec+, I'm pretty sure the employer won't care much that it's from '11 or '08 or '05. :D
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ScytheX10 wrote: »
    The only real reason I haven't fully made up my mind is this: Having the most up-to-date cert is ideal in terms of employment. A 2008 vs a 2011 certification could be seen as huge. But that's just my thinking.

In reality it makes little or no difference. I've never been asked the version on my CompTIA certs.

If you studied for the 201 either take the 201 or study for the 301 and take the 301. If the study for 201 is complete then I personally would just take it now. If you want to upgrade later, you certainly can. I wouldn't advise studying for the 201 and then just taking the 301 without first preparing for it. If you are looking to throw away a couple hundred bucks, my bank acount number is 555...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I think Devilsbane and spicy ahi have given you great advice. Hiring managers rarely care about the version (but I've been told that most associated with DoD toss a resume that doesn't have any Security+ cert).

You can continue to take the 201 exam until the end of December 2011, and you'll be required to keep it current with continuing education (CE) but the CE requirements don't change from 201 to 301.

I'm heavy into the 301 objectives (updating my book), and there are enough differences to echo other's advice. Take the exam you've been studying for.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    I'll be taking the 201 then. I really appreciate the responses guys. Probably saved me some $$. :D

p.s., Darril, I'm sure you hear it all the time; I love your book, keep it up, please keep it up.
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    ScytheX10 wrote: »
    I'll be taking the 201 then. I really appreciate the responses guys. Probably saved me some $$. :D

p.s., Darril, I'm sure you hear it all the time; I love your book, keep it up, please keep it up.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Take the 201 if that is what you have already studied for. I just passed the test last week with a 856. READ and RE-READ the questions, make sure you know what they are asking or saying.

Darril: Thank you for the great book! bowing.gif Found it much easier to digest than the COMPTIA press book that WGU supplies as a text book. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    louisevlouisev Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know that CompTIA offers the online courseware for the 201, so even though I spent most of this week in preparation for the 201, it looks like the only online self-paced courseware I can get is for the 301. I am in a dreadful hurry, since my company can't place me until I pass the cert test. Any recommendations? I took the ComputerCoach online class and all that seems to have done is get me to pass their practice exams, and any of the other practice exams I've taken, I can't pass them.
  • Options
    nveerni0504nveerni0504 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    Please can you let me know what the major differences are between SY0-201 to SY0-301? I had made a blunder,i had accidentally bought the SYO-201 exam guide and now the place which i bought will not take the book back.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    This blog outlines some of the differences: Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences.

You can also go to the CompTIA site and download the the SY0-301 objectives and see what is different.