How many of you created a personal blog to help study?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
This is something new I am trying, after recommendation from someone outside of IT who used the method to study for a state health license.

If you did do this, did you stop after you passed the exam, or did you continue on with it and incorporate it into further certs?

Comments

• Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I created one but I haven't done much with it. I usually remember I have one when its not convenient to blog
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have one too, but i forget i have it. Plus, I am not that great of a writer so I tend to not do anything with it.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I do. It just takes some time and effort to keep going.

I just kind of keep it rolling from one topic to the next.

It's by no means a primary way for me to study but it helps me reinforce topics.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's all I'll be using mine for, a way to help reinforce what I study. I've been building flash cards on Quizlet, and just run the app on the phone here. Can go through a lot of definitions in between calls.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Mine is to help me study and present some tech and helpful articles too.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I was originally planning to use mine to post tutorials on how to do things and explain other things so as to help someone pass an exam. But it has pretty much evolved into my posting some of the weirder issues that I work through and the resolutions I've been finding for them. Haven't had the time to put together a good tutorial in quite a while.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I started one to track my WGU progress but ended up posting something like once every 3-4 months. I keep telling myself I am going to actually start a useful technical blog, if only to archive my own solutions, but it hasn't happened yet.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have one but only to sort of keep track of my progress for academic, certifications, and girls that I think I like ;)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yeah, I got one of those. I've have about dozen articles half-finished in Windows Live Writer (for Windows XP here), but I often have a difficult time finding the time to finish any of them. My blog is more a leisure-time activity than a professional endeavor or a motivation to study for certs.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I hosted one at home on a ubuntu server linux/wordpress it's an added time but it's great to reinforce your skills while sharing knowledge, when some part of my studies are gray I would blog it.

Makes you look cool too I thought it will be a way to get the girls maybe I was wrong ehehe...
  • -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    Makes you look cool too I thought it will be a way to get the girls maybe I was wrong ehehe...

Epic!! icon_lol.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I keep up on mine fairly well.

I use it to remember topics and as a reference point in my brain.

"I remember doing that... And I can look it up and refresh my memory!"
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You need to blog about stuff that girls find fun, or about sensitive and caring things. ;)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did one for the CCIE-Sec but only because I was asked to. I find it interesting to look back on but I don't think it helped me during the process much. Maybe to vent a little and post-mortem track my progress. But it does take time to do a detailed Blog and can be a distraction in itself. If you're having trouble staying focused it might help since you can do reviews and adjust over time.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started a blog a while back. Ive kept it going ever since. I do not really use it to study but to post information to help out others in IT and to serve as a reference for myself.
  • WP4NWP4N Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started a simple blog through WP. I mostly just use it for a reference point for scripts/functions that I've made or found online. Let's me keep it in a central spot so I can find what I need if I'm not around my computer.

Haven't actually thought about using it as another way to study material.
  • JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just felt inspired to create one. Lets see how it goes.
    WGU Progress
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am really tempted to make one... just didn't know what to put in there yet, lol
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm going to start one eventually. I'll probably begin to work on one when I have to do the capstone project for my degree.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I've been wanting to start one for a while, just haven't found the time. I suppose it'd be easier if I just joined and existing service, but that's not my style. I setup a CentOS 5.5 VM at home. First I had it running Joomla, but then switched to Drupal. I setup a second server running Zimbra, and started working on a site with a blog, forum, e-mail, and XMPP instant messaging. I got busy with other things and never finished it.

I even picked out a name/theme... it was going to be something an old boss of mine used to yell at me when she thought my servers were down, even though most of the time it was a problem with her workstation. ;)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You need to blog about stuff that girls find fun, or about sensitive and caring things. ;)

HA!

Well, maybe for girls.
    If you are aiming for women than...post sexy tech stuff!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    JDMurray wrote: »

icon_lol.gif +rep

LOL !! or maybe don't blog at all
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TechZillaTechZilla Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started one a couple of weeks ago. We shall see if I can maintain it.

clintcolding.com or techzilla.co
  • JpgonzalJpgonzal Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I created one to keep me honest and keep a log of whats going on in my studies. I personally like the idea of going back and rereading some of the things going on and seeing how your perspective changes (or doesn't). Also, since I tend to ramble anyway, its fun to figure out the literary sudoku that I call my blog.

I admit it is more for "me" than the reader but if it elicits a thought or a laugh then I guess that is alright.

Stop on by, have a brew and let me know what ya think.

http://jamesnandn.blogspot.com/
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    This is something new I am trying, after recommendation from someone outside of IT who used the method to study for a state health license.

If you did do this, did you stop after you passed the exam, or did you continue on with it and incorporate it into further certs?

Haven't done it yet, but I think it's a wonderful idea.
  • LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    I started one for the SQL Server exams recently. Haven't got it ship shape yet though.

See my sig for the url.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea mine is located below:

Shawn Moore's Cisco Trek

I'm trying to figure out a way to give out the CCNA lab book I created out for free without p*ssing of the customers I already sold it too. The book was created a while ago and I don't really market it or do much with it nowadays ever since my job role changed and I'm a lot more occupied.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not so much for certifications and myself, but I created one to help others. Throughout helping others, I studied the ins and outs of Windows, which really helped my certification studies. So, while not directly aimed at certification, is was very helpful (and still is) is earning the certs and helping others obtain them, as well. I may add a section that is more targetted towards the Win7 exams, though.... Sounds pretty nice, actually. :)

Also, it's MSTechPages for those that are interested.