Options

Prerequsites for compTIA security+

Ashish_singhAshish_singh Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please tell me what are the prerequisites for the security+ exam. Is work experience in the security field needed ?
I am a non-computer science guy so i dont know if the study of a guide (say, by darril gibson) will be enough to understand security in depth. Do i have to study books that just teach each of the topics in detail ?

All suggestions are welcome.

PS : I want real knowledge that will help me to understand and manage security, and not just pass an exam.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    There are no pre-req's anyone can take this exam.

Supposedly the Darril Gibson book is good enough and many people have vouched for this book on this forum. I am just a huge fan of reading multiple books and using many different sources.

You will learn some good information from the Security but real knowledge will come with experience.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Ashish_singhAshish_singh Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I am just a huge fan of reading multiple books and using many different sources.
    Can anyone suggest such sources, especially websites ?
    SteveO86 wrote: »

You will learn some good information from the Security but real knowledge will come with experience.
    How to gain experience ? By working in a company or on my own ?(Generally companies ask a few years of work experience which i dont have now).

• Options
    rapyokerapyoke Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets is great, I would strongly recommend them. Also, I would head to a Barnes and Noble/Borders near you and pick a few off the shelf, read a chapter or two, and pick the one whose style you like most. As the poster above me said, Darril's book is considered to be the best but it certainly doesn't hurt to be fed the same information a few different ways.
    [X]70-270 - Configuring Windows XP Professional
    [X]70-680 - Configuring Windows 7
    [X]640-802 - CCNA
    [ ] MCITP
  • Options
    louisevlouisev Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can tell you that the CompTIA Security+ web training, while reassuring, isn't really as big a help as the $10 Darrill Simpson study guide, but if I had the luxury of time I would have tried another source and gotten another book, particularly one on networking. Darrill himself might have some suggestions on his site.