So i took the lab....

aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
and failed Tshoot but passed config

There is so much i'd like to say but i'm NDA'd but with the TS section your main enemy is time and without giving too mucha way if its on the blueprint it will be tested! i was only able to get around half of the tickets done before i was auto logged out so i knew i had failed going into config so wasn't too stressed.one thing i would say to anyone is check on each ticket all devices are powered on (you get this through a web page) i lost 15 mins trying to work out a problem when a device hadn't started correctly.

Config was quite challenging and there were some tricky issues but the labbing really pays off here as i was able to quickly identify what potential problems may arise and how to work out a solution. A couple of tasks i couldn't do immediatly but as they were not essential t the running (i.e l2/l3) i skipped them then went back to them in the last hour. What was funny was there was a really complicated problem i went through first time (the sort of thing if i was labbing i'd go woohoo! after doing) yet on a simple section my brain decided to shut down and i only got part of it done.

i wasn't sure how the pure digital ccie would work i would personally prefer having paper topologies there as sometimes (particully tshoot) its hard to flip between l2 and l3. Also i had heard the doc cd is slow in the lab, this was not the case in belgium but you can't use tabbed browsing so you do sometimes end up with lots of windows open but the screens are quite large and the machines performance good.

Overall a good experience it was a bit early of an attempt for job reasons and i know now that there is a few lesser known techs i need to go over and to work on overall speed. thinking about redoing it in august so hopefully i'll get my magic number then !

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the update, i don't like the sound of the TS section if there is no topology on paper, maybe i'd try to draw it quickly.This is the stupid aspect of the ccie, you get killed on time and they dont give a comfortable working environment.
    Better luck next time!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    aldous wrote: »
    There is so much i'd like to say but i'm NDA'd but with the TS section your main enemy is time and without giving too mucha way if its on the blueprint it will be tested!
    Yeah -- it's kind of a shock to find something that you may have only set up once in your home lab (or never if you use rack rental) and find it's now possible to have in the troubleshooting and/or configuration section.

I think the most recent 3rd party training and workbooks have been updated to include tasks/labs for something that they had in the past told you that you would not be responsible for on the exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that sucks.

You just need more practice, don't give up.

@edthelead, unless you are very fast there isnt much time for drawing a topology for the TS section.
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Damn, the troubleshooting portion of the exam seems to really seems to have upped the difficulty significantly... Don't get me wrong, I think it should be in there but lack of time seems to be a huge issue. I'd like to see all the CCIE's who got their numbers on V3 attempting the new format. I bet a lot of them would fail miserably.

I hope Cisco will modify the exam slightly in the future, like when I eventually go for my numbers! I'd like them to either reduce the number of questions or increase the time. The CCIE IMO should not be a speed test
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, i don't like the sound of the TS section if there is no topology on paper, maybe i'd try to draw it quickly.This is the stupid aspect of the ccie, you get killed on time and they dont give a comfortable working environment.
    Better luck next time!

Each ticket points you to the area of the network(which is around 30 devices) with the problem however that area could be 10 routers big

i'd prefer paper based but for tshoot its not too big of an issue as you dont spend much time in each bit

The time is the biggest factor so i wouldn't do anything to add to that. in my preperation i was never really keeping much track of time just working through the tasks now i'm going to be working at getting the speed up
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aldous wrote: »
    and failed Tshoot but passed config

There is so much i'd like to say but i'm NDA'd but with the TS section your main enemy is time and without giving too mucha way if its on the blueprint it will be tested! i was only able to get around half of the tickets done before i was auto logged out so i knew i had failed going into config so wasn't too stressed.one thing i would say to anyone is check on each ticket all devices are powered on (you get this through a web page) i lost 15 mins trying to work out a problem when a device hadn't started correctly.

Config was quite challenging and there were some tricky issues but the labbing really pays off here as i was able to quickly identify what potential problems may arise and how to work out a solution. A couple of tasks i couldn't do immediatly but as they were not essential t the running (i.e l2/l3) i skipped them then went back to them in the last hour. What was funny was there was a really complicated problem i went through first time (the sort of thing if i was labbing i'd go woohoo! after doing) yet on a simple section my brain decided to shut down and i only got part of it done.

i wasn't sure how the pure digital ccie would work i would personally prefer having paper topologies there as sometimes (particully tshoot) its hard to flip between l2 and l3. Also i had heard the doc cd is slow in the lab, this was not the case in belgium but you can't use tabbed browsing so you do sometimes end up with lots of windows open but the screens are quite large and the machines performance good.

Overall a good experience it was a bit early of an attempt for job reasons and i know now that there is a few lesser known techs i need to go over and to work on overall speed. thinking about redoing it in august so hopefully i'll get my magic number then !

Sorry to hear that. I dont believe any training vendor out there can offer a simulated mock exam like the real lab. Keep slogging away.