Options

CAPM vs PMP

techtimetechtime Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok so I am not sure which I qualify for and if the CAPM is even worth it. I have a 4 year degree and was a proj manager for 6mo after college 4 yrs ago. That gives me 960 hrs of leading projects. Currently my title is project lead 1 yr = about 2000 hrs. I think I only qualify for the capm, but is this a cert that people even look for?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Most people do not know what the CAPM is, to be honest.

I didn't know what it was until a friend had it, and told me about it. (Of course, I had heard of the PMP, but the PMP takes a lot of work to get to.)

If we have some PMP's on this forum, hopefully they pipe in on this topic. ... Which had me thinking, is there a forum for those PMI-certed folks to talk on? I checked at the PMI site, but ... not much getting on there, I suspect it might be behind the login page ... no idea.

EDIT: You lack the experience for PMP, but you apparently have enough for CAPM. If the hiring manager has a PMP, they will probably know what CAPM is.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have my PMP and had never heard fo CAPM until I started studying for it. The best way to know if its recognized is to search your local job boards and see how many hits it gets. It may help you to get into a PMO though with limited experience.

If i had to do them again I would have done six sigma as that's more IT ptroject focused.
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've worked with a number of PMPs over the years, and I have never heard of people who are CAPM certified.
  • Options
    All4QualityAll4Quality Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)

PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® is a valuable entry-level certification for project practitioners. Designed for those with less project experience, the CAPM® demonstrates your understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management.
    Whether you’re new to project management, changing careers, or already serving as a subject matter expert on project teams, the CAPM can get your career on the right path or take it to the next level.
    Who should apply?

If you’re a less experienced project manager looking to demonstrate your commitment to project management, improve your ability to manage larger projects and earn additional responsibility, and stand out to potential employers, the CAPM certification is right for you.
    CAPM Requirements

To apply for the CAPM, you need to have:
    • A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent)

AND
    • At least 1,500 hours experience OR 23 hours of project management education.
    If you have logged hours leading and directing projects, you may want to see if you are ready for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential.

http://www.pmi.org/Certification/Certified-Associate-in-Project-Management-CAPM.aspx

http://www.pmi.org/Certification/What-are-PMI-Certifications.aspx

PERSONAL Experience:

I took the CAPM exam last year and i passed it. I used the PMBOK guide, SKillPort training courses, and one of the books recommended by the PMI site : http://www.amazon.com/CAPM-Exam-Success-Bootcamp-Simulation/dp/1935062131

True not many people are aware of this certification, but i belief it is now gaining more popularity since 2010 (when i took the exam).

Here is a link of job postings requiring a CAPM cert: http://www.indeed.com/q-Capm-jobs.html

There is also a linkedin group page for CAPM
    http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Certified-Associate-Project-Manager-CAPM-1870876?trk=myg_ugrp_ovr

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/good-evening-everyone-got-my-1870876.S.47501209?qid=69f11fdb-1b31-4c87-b8e2-5002a3332a2a&goback=%2Egmp_1870876

checkout this link: http://www.gantthead.com/discussions/discussionsTopicContainer.cfm?ID=8484

//Hope this help.
    //Goodluck!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would side with just going for the PMP... which may mean you wait another couple of years. Honestly, one of the things that held me back from the path is documenting hours; it ended up going much better than I had expected and I received my approval a couple of weeks ago... Now I just need to study and sit the exam.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    edmaq6edmaq6 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I just have joined this forum to get more around those who are doing CAPM. I am working on it. My brother has PMP certification but i don't. I don[t have experience in it so I decided to give it a shot.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    what about a different project management cert till your qualify for a pmp

something like ITIL
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what about a different project management cert till your qualify for a pmp

something like ITIL
    In my opinion, ITIL is not a "project" management cert but an "IT infrastructure" management cert.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    powerfool wrote: »
    I would side with just going for the PMP... which may mean you wait another couple of years. Honestly, one of the things that held me back from the path is documenting hours; it ended up going much better than I had expected and I received my approval a couple of weeks ago... Now I just need to study and sit the exam.

I agree with this. I would wait until you are eligible to get the PMP.
  • Options
    eriakmooseriakmoos Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    According to my opinion the questions on CAPM and PMP exam are different, because the difficulty level is different. CAPM is easier than PMP.

techtime wrote: »
    Ok so I am not sure which I qualify for and if the CAPM is even worth it. I have a 4 year degree and was a proj manager for 6mo after college 4 yrs ago. That gives me 960 hrs of leading projects. Currently my title is project lead 1 yr = about 2000 hrs. I think I only qualify for the capm, but is this a cert that people even look for?

CAPM will not benefit you that much in the job market, but it can't hurt. The PMP is what most hiring managers look for in that kind of role. I was pretty surprised at how lenient they are for experience, I thought it would be more like ISC2 and the CISSP requirements but most project related work counts as experience from when I ended up testing for my PMP.
  • Options
    Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)

PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® is a valuable entry-level certification for project practitioners. Designed for those with less project experience, the CAPM® demonstrates your understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management.
    Whether you’re new to project management, changing careers, or already serving as a subject matter expert on project teams, the CAPM can get your career on the right path or take it to the next level.
    Who should apply?

If you’re a less experienced project manager looking to demonstrate your commitment to project management, improve your ability to manage larger projects and earn additional responsibility, and stand out to potential employers, the CAPM certification is right for you.
    CAPM Requirements

To apply for the CAPM, you need to have:
    • A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent)

AND
    • At least 1,500 hours experience OR 23 hours of project management education.
    If you have logged hours leading and directing projects, you may want to see if you are ready for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential.

PMI CAPM Certification | Project Management Institute

http://www.pmi.org/Certification/What-are-PMI-Certifications.aspx

PERSONAL Experience:

I took the CAPM exam last year and i passed it. I used the PMBOK guide, SKillPort training courses, and one of the books recommended by the PMI site : Amazon.com: CAPM Exam Success Series: Bootcamp Manual (with Exam Simulation Download) (9781935062134): Tony Johnson MBA PMP PgMP: Books

True not many people are aware of this certification, but i belief it is now gaining more popularity since 2010 (when i took the exam).

Here is a link of job postings requiring a CAPM cert: Capm Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

There is also a linkedin group page for CAPM
    Certified Associate Project Manager (CAPM)'s Official Group | LinkedIn

good evening everyone :) got my CAPM in october of 2010 but Im having issues with employment. | LinkedIn

checkout this link: Messages on Value of CAPM

//Hope this help.
    //Goodluck!

Quality after taking the time to read this thread this really does put a new light on the certifications.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

You know after reading through the post I feel I would be nothing more than a poser if I obtained the PMP even if I have the hours.

I think I will go for the CAPM and learn while I work in a PM role.
  • Options
    rehanazeemrehanazeem Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Anyone guide me I have three years experience after my MSc in Engineering Management from UK and my thesis purely in project management with some certification in Project Management from different institute in Pakistan.

Will qualify for PMP Exam as my experience counts for the PMP exam or still I need more experience to qualify for the exam?

Regards
    Rehan
  • Options
    How much experience do you have? If you meet the criteria stated on PMI's website you should be good to go.
  • Options
    rehanazeemrehanazeem Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All

I heard new course of PMP is going to be implemented from June or July 2013 ? Am I right ?

Regards
    Rehan
  • Options
    Rehanazeem

That's the word I have heard......
  • Options
    QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They'd better not be cheapening it.
  • Options
    I heard they are adding more processes - Not saying that means much yet....
  • Options
    teemanteeman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys for some of us who really are not into project management certs like CAPM makes a whole lot of a difference,I noticed also employers make a mistake of saying CAPM or PMP , the same way they do the CCNA/CCIE error.But it really depends where you want to apply the knowledge.
  • Options
    foulainefoulaine Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,
    I wanted to know if PhD time counts as project management experience for PMP if it involves the individual managing the project for 3 years.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    timone_gtimone_g Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techtime: CAPM is for those people who have less experience as project practitioner but want to know about the best practices from PMI on managing project. PMP is for experienced project managers looking to sharpen project management skills.

Rehan/ N2IT:
    About New PMI EXAM:
    PMI say that changes to the PMP Exam based on the 5th edition of the PMBOK® Guide will not occur until sometime in the 3rd quarter of 2013.
    You can check out the presentation slides given at the EMEA Global Congress in Marseille in May of 2012. Follow this link: R.E.P. Program Archive Look under the heading “2012 R.E.P. Event Presentations” and click on the presentation entitled “REP Breakfast Standards presentation”. See slide 4 for pertinent data.

What is New:
    In the 5th edition of PMBOK there are 47 Project Management Process (42 in 4th edition) 5 Project Management Process group ( nothing has changed) 10 Knowledge areas (9 in 4th edition the new addition is Stakeholder Management)

Foulaine: PMP Eligibility : It does not mention anything about Phd on the site atleast.

• A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree, or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

OR
    • A four-year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
  • Options
    yi8888@gmail.comyi8888@gmail.com Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I’m currently working on CAPM certificate. However, I think it is be better to take PM courses to get a solid understanding of project management before getting into the job field. I’m taking classes with Professor Sukhjit Singh at De Anza College. His teaching emphasizes more on real world experiences than on book reading, which helps me to gain some hand-on PM experiences.
    Like this week, he instructs the class to use SWOT, Business Analysis Canvas to analyze the feasibility of the project / business. This model provides a good overview on what central value the business is focused, what market segment, key partner s, activities, resources are important to the project /business, and what cost and revenues are created. It is a very useful method to evaluate the project strength and weakness and to analyze the project in different prospective.
    I'm still need to study to PMBOK for the exam, but I think that college’s PM classes can help me in the future job interview that I can map out the project plan with the skills I acquired with Pro. Sukhjit Signh.
  • Options
    melisalimpyomelisalimpyo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me it would always be the same.. PMP or CAMP would still do the same. Why not choose both?
  • Options
    fivestarsfivestars Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    I agree with waiting. I'm just starting the process myself with a colleague who is already PMP certified. I have been in a PM-like role in my current company for two years. He told me the whole process should probably take me a year anyway, so not to worry about it. All the documentation of hours seems cumbersome, but I feel like I will have a very strong resume at the end of it.
  • Options
    Aman MehtaAman Mehta Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PMP or CAPM both are PMI Certifications, and have defined eligibility criterias.
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    I think both are same but CAMP is eraser than PMP. You can choose both.