Server exams before 680, 685, 686?

IndyLovelessIndyLoveless Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Should I be studying for the Windows Server 2008 R2 exams before I attempt to study for the 680, 685, and 686? I am completely new to Microsoft exams, and am unsure where I need to start?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, and maybe yes. This depends on your current level of experience. If you have been working in server administration for more than a year I would say no, not required at all.
    If you are new to IT and have little or no experience with server administration then I would say that informal study of the exam objectives for those exams might help you. At a certain point the is a chicken-and-egg sort of situation where you need to know about server technologies before you can go farther on the client side, but you need to know the client stuff before you go further on the server side…
    My advice is that you NOT actually prep for the exams but that you just study some of the material and do some casual lab work for the server exams. If you don’t understand a topic post your questions here but don’t dwell on it for long.
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    Completely new to exams? hmm. I'd take the 685 first, it deals a lot with the tech support and then do the 680
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I just finished my MCITP:EA and I would have never passed 70-680 without having the info from the Server 2008 exams FIRST. The Windows 7 exams seem to cover a lot of material from the Server 2008 exams, so I would cover the server stuff first.
  • IndyLovelessIndyLoveless Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have messed around with Server at school labs, and I also have a server test setup I can access at work. Would that be enough? I'd be able to reference almost anything I need here at work.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    You definitely need a Windows Server 2008 R2 server setup to play around with - and I would recommend working most of the labs in the MS Press books.