Taking 70-215 and 70-217 at the Same Time

I just ordered some parts for a 2000 Server that I'm building and should have it up and running within the next 10 days. I'm wondering if I should study for both 70-215 and 70-217 at the same time since they are interrelated. I realize that 70-216 is supposed to be very hard, so I think that I will save that one for after 70-215 and 70-217. Do you think that I could take both of these tests on the same day? Write back with your responses.

Cheeblie

Comments

• pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    whadju pick up?
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    What do you mean icon_confused.gif: icon_cry.gif

Cheeblie
    The parts you ordered for your server.
    Matter of fact I have question for you..

I was considering a D-link wireless router with 4 port swith.. DI-614+

Do you know if I could hook up normal patch cables to that? and if so how many?

I would like to hook up my two normal computers and put my server in the closet using a wireless nic. It would be pointless to use wireless with my two workstations cause they are back to back.

pandimus
    OH yeah, do you think it is possible to hook it up with no monitor, keyboard and mouse and just vnc into it? (server in closet)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    All core exams are interrelated, there's about as much 70-210 in 70-215 as 70-217 or 70-216 in 70-215. Taking 70-215 and 70-217 on one day is doable, but I wouldn't recommend it just for the sake of the overlap.
    P4 2.6 GHz 800 FSB
    Asus P4P800-VM Motherboard
    2 x 512 PC3200 DDR
    SATA 36 GB Western Digital Raptor

I also got an internal dialup modem and a KVM switch.

Cheeblie
    Yeah, you could hook up normal cables that have RJ-45 connectors, but I think you could only connect three depending on whether or not you have something in the uplink port, however this may be different form device to device. You should be able to setup your server in a closet somewhere, but make sure that the closet has decent airflow. As far as not connecting a monitor/keyboard/mouse, it could be done, however I would recommend installing some kind of software on it that allows for remote administration. You could also use a KVM that works over IP, but I'm not real clear on how well those work.

Cheeblie
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes you can set it up in a closet without mouse, keyboard, monitor - you will however need them when you first arc it up. VNC is a great option for that.

I do however have a couple of things for you to consider.
    1. Ventilation in the closet during summer. I have repaired a couple servers in business premises that were in old converted brrom cupboards - these did not have aircon and the result was component failure.
    2. Wireless. A lot harder to fully secure - you will need to ensure that you have no external hotspots (I can find a dozen of them in my neighborhood) and you will need to ensure that all of your communication is secure.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Yeah, VNC is remote admin via IP..

I dont have a broadband connection yet.. So nothing in uplink.
    oh yea, it's 802.11b
    Well, since it's 802.11b make sure that you realize that any resources that are directly on the server will take 10 times as long to access/transfer. I would recommend the 802.11g as it faster and is also compatible with the slower versions of wireless. Either way, with wireless right now you won't have even close to the speed that you would have with wired.

Cheeblie
    Will i at least get 10 Mbps?
    Yeah, you'll get 11 Mbps.

Cheeblie
    that would be fine..

for 30 bux