Passed 70-680 to complete MCITP:EA

I sat for the 70-680 exam today and passed with a score of 809. The test had 50 questions and I honestly thought I had 42 of them definitely right. Overall the material was not too bad - there were just 5 or 6 of the usual "Microsoft" questions. I hate questions where they ask for the next step, or the fastest way to do something. There always seem to be 2 or 3 equally "right" answers so the questions are a crap shoot. There were also some VERY obscure command line commands on the exam, so if you see any commands in the books I would recommend looking them up and understand what they do.

Overall the test seemed to cover the material evenly. If you look over all the info in the 8 domains on this site you should be ready for this exam. I created 8-10 pages of notes for each domain using the MS Press book and used these notes to prepare. The notes seemed to cover everything very well.

I used the following 3 books to prepare:
1) MS Press 70-680 - not horrible, but not the best
2) Darril Gibson's 685/686 book - good coverage of the material
3) Poulton 70-680 book - this was by far the best of the 3

I also used the MS Press CD questions and self test software questions and flash cards.

I would recommend using the MS Press and the Poulton book along with the MS Press CD and the questions in the Poulton book. If you cover these 2 books and questions in detail you should be well prepared for this exam.

Also, if you are beginning to study for the MCITP:EA I would HIGHLY recommend taking the server exams first. The material you cover and learn from the Server 2008 tests will help prepare you for this exam.

Comments

• pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Congrats on the pass!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing!
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    great work!
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Todd,
    Which exam would you advise that one take first? I've been studying for 70-680 for about 3 weeks now and am doing okay at it but not great, and I've read many comments on these forums that say to take server exams first. But which to start with? Any thoughts?
  • CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Congrats on the pass. icon_thumright.gif
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • aklabsaklabs Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats Toddicon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif

i take my test friday
    Passed:
    [X] 70-680, [X] 70-686
    Working on:
    [ ] 70-640, [ ] 70-642, [ ] 70-643, [ ] 70-647, [ ] 70-646
    Have:
    Comptia A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE (2000 track)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Glyphic - I have stated more than once on this forum that I would HIGHLY recommend taking the Server 2008 exams FIRST, then take 70-680 last. There are a number of topics like BranchCache, DirectAccess, BitLocker, Group Policy, AppLocker, Windows Firewall and WFAS, Remote Access technologies, IPv6, etc..., that are covered in good detail in the Server material. There is simply no substitute for seeing this info on the server exams first because that made 70-680 MUCH MUCH easier. I would have had a very hard time with 70-680 with it as my first MCITP:EA test even with my MCSE experience.

Pick up one of the 2008 R2 books to accompany the MS Press books (like Mastering 2008 R2). They will help with the R2 technology like DirectAccess and BranchCache.

Also, for 70-680 I would definitely recommend the Poulton book instead of the MS Press book, although I learned a great deal from the MS Press practice questions on the CD. The Darril Gibson 685/686 book is also a great resource.

One other bit of advice - take the 640, 642 and 643 tests FIRST, then take 70-647. 70-647 is a total pain in the butt, so you will need all the knowledge from the other 3 exams to pass it. The format is a total nightmare.

Good luck.
  • Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glyphic - I have stated more than once on this forum that I would HIGHLY recommend taking the Server 2008 exams FIRST, then take 70-680 last. There are a number of topics like BranchCache, DirectAccess, BitLocker, Group Policy, AppLocker, Windows Firewall and WFAS, Remote Access technologies, IPv6, etc..., that are covered in good detail in the Server material. There is simply no substitute for seeing this info on the server exams first because that made 70-680 MUCH MUCH easier. I would have had a very hard time with 70-680 with it as my first MCITP:EA test even with my MCSE experience.

Pick up one of the 2008 R2 books to accompany the MS Press books (like Mastering 2008 R2). They will help with the R2 technology like DirectAccess and BranchCache.

Also, for 70-680 I would definitely recommend the Poulton book instead of the MS Press book, although I learned a great deal from the MS Press practice questions on the CD. The Darril Gibson 685/686 book is also a great resource.

One other bit of advice - take the 640, 642 and 643 tests FIRST, then take 70-647. 70-647 is a total pain in the butt, so you will need all the knowledge from the other 3 exams to pass it. The format is a total nightmare.

Good luck.

Thanks, Todd. I think I may start with 70-642, then go from there.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    Glyphic83 wrote: »
    Thanks, Todd. I think I may start with 70-642, then go from there.

yep im starting with 70-642 as well ... it seams like alot of the info i learned in net+ is in there, so i thought it would be a good start.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: