Options

Don't put much value in the CISSP

2»

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't work in engineering or systems administration. I am however experienced in managing/performing security testing, audits, and compliance efforts. I also have done hands on packet level security work. To be honest I actually respected the cert more when I was a sysadmin.

I'm sorry, but passing an exam doesn't really earn my respect. I have no doubt its a difficult exam, as I have read CISSP study material. I know it doesn't make you particularly good at one thing or the other, however the perception that the CISSP is the best security certification out there is getting old.

I chose not to take the exam. I read material to even possibly take the exam at one point. To get my DoD IA Tech III certification I chose GCIH over CISSP.

I'm just sharing my opinion on why I think the CISSP is overhyped beyond belief. I realize you have the certification, and I'm glad you find value in it. I actually mentioned in my post I will end up taking it at some point.

You chose the GCIH over the CISSP because you think the CISSP is over hyped. I wish the CISSP was an open book test like the GCIH, I might have passed it the first time I took it since I know I blanked out on straight memorization stuff.
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    You chose the GCIH over the CISSP because you think the CISSP is over hyped. I wish the CISSP was an open book test like the GCIH, I might have passed it the first time I took it since I know I blanked out on straight memorization stuff.

Let's not go dismissing or undermining the credibility of certifications.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    Let's not go dismissing or undermining the credibility of certifications.

I have to take a GIAC test soon and I know you can't just look up every single answer because you would run out of time, you have to study. But if you are drawing blanks on some things being able to make notes in the approved textbooks ahead of time and then look up the correct answer or something to help you determine the correct answer does help a lot.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I have to take a GIAC test soon and I know you can't just look up every single answer because you would run out of time, you have to study. But if you are drawing blanks on some things being able to make notes in the approved textbooks ahead of time and then look up the correct answer or something to help you determine the correct answer does help a lot.

Is that how it is for all GIAC exams?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    Is that how it is for all GIAC exams?

Yes but without knowing the material ahead of time you won't find alot of the answers in enough time to pass the test.

Either way this entire thread is just silly now. We should be making fun of dynamik.
This discussion has been closed.