Taking Sec+ test tomorrow morning.

Skoal_ManSkoal_Man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, I just paid for and signed up to take the Sec+ test tomorrow morning. I just finished Darill's book on Sunday and took the practice exam at the end and made an 87 on the first try. I felt ok about that. But..

I just took a practice test on these forums and got a 60... I hope i didn't jump the gun on scheduling the test.

Comments

• eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skoal_Man wrote: »
    Well, I just paid for and signed up to take the Sec+ test tomorrow morning. I just finished Darill's book on Sunday and took the practice exam at the end and made an 87 on the first try. I felt ok about that. But..

I just took a practice test on these forums and got a 60... I hope i didn't jump the gun on scheduling the test.

If you've read and understand Darill's book, you should be fine.
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    If you've read and understand Darill's book, you should be fine.

I agree, you'll be fineicon_thumright.gif
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    I think you'll be fine.

The only practice tests I passed were DG's in the book. Otherwise, I failed them all, even the direct CompTIA ones (I got an 81icon_cool.gif.

As long as you know the material, you should be fine.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you understand Darril's book then you should be okay. I got the same results and passed with an 842. The practice tests seem to be harder than the actual exam. Just do you best on the practice and make sure you understand where you are weak and try to improve on it as much as you can before the test. Good luck!
  • Skoal_ManSkoal_Man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the support. I'm confident on Darril's book. Maybe I'll be ok. I'll let y'all know tomorrow.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Bring it home.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Well I wouldn't call it a commanding pass but I'll take 798. Started reading darrill's book 12 days ago.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at it this way 798/900 is an 87 which is a B so it isn't that bad. Congratz on the pass....
    This site was a great help.
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • PanderPander Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job Skoal. A pass is a pass! :)
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! What's next?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Not sure what is next. Any suggestions? Would A+ and Network+ be easy after Sec +?
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure what is next. Any suggestions? Would A+ and Network+ be easy after Sec +?

Most folk do a+,net + before sec+
    But you could work backward if you want and do Net+ next
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

What do you want to do for a career in IT?
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□

Good job on the pass! icon_cheers.gif

As for what's next how about:
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator? icon_lol.gif

Just kidding, like others have said it depends on where you want to be in the industry.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did the same thing as you. Read Darril's book, had a good understanding, passed all of the chapter tests with 90% plus, passed the final with like 95% and then went and took the exam off the CompTIA exam scoring 67%.

Walked into the real thing, 35 minutes later I had an 850 or something like that.

Congrats!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • louisevlouisev Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just spent three days dinking around with the ComputerCoach Security+ exam prep, and went to ComputerProfs, took their Security+ practice test and got a 57. I took the practice 40 question test here and got a 65%.

I took the initial assessment test after buying Darrill's book and got 43 out of 78 right in the front of the book, now I'm studying the book. My question is this: How long did you work with Darrill's book before going to the exam? Time is of the essence, and I'm on this task full time until I have good confidence of passing the test - my company is paying for everything and I won't be billable till I do. Should I do CompTIA's online courseware, or is Darrill's book enough? My networking background is ancient - I've spent 15 years in software development and haven't done anything with encryption ever, or nothing to do with security except in passing.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!
    I think you'll be fine.

The only practice tests I passed were DG's in the book. Otherwise, I failed them all, even the direct CompTIA ones (I got an 81icon_cool.gif.

As long as you know the material, you should be fine.

I would be interested to know which practice exams are the "Direct CompTIA ones..." do you have to buy them? Or was this part of the CompTIA courseware? My company just bought the CompTIA courseware made by ElementK, and I'm hoping I can squeak by in the SY0201 exam using the 2008 objectives labs.
    CompTIA offers 20 free practice question for each test from their Website. These are much more difficult than the actual test, so don't be too discouraged when you get 67% the night before (like I did).

They don't give you the answers or tell you the questions you got wrong though.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    CompTIA offers 20 free practice question for each test from their Website. These are much more difficult than the actual test, so don't be too discouraged when you get 67% the night before (like I did).

They don't give you the answers or tell you the questions you got wrong though.

Thanks, that's comforting to know. I am doing quite well with Darrill's book, I've only had it since Thursday and I'm nearly halfway through it, and done well with his tests. I have the added 'bonus' of having the CompTIA courseware, so once I get that I'll work through those labs as well and I can give you folks a review on CompTIA's courseware. But so far Darrill's book is tying things together in a context I can understand much moreso than the ComputerCoach courseware did - that might only be useful for people who already have a deep knowledge of security who need to know which areas are under examination so they can brush up.
    Darril's book is an all in one exam passer. Very easy to read and understand, you cruise right through it. The questions are accurate and meaningful. I normally don't advise using a single source, but this is the only exception that I can think of where it would be ok to do it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Darril's book is an all in one exam passer. Very easy to read and understand, you cruise right through it. The questions are accurate and meaningful. I normally don't advise using a single source, but this is the only exception that I can think of where it would be ok to do it.

And I'm glad of it. CompTIA's courseware is slick and has a lot of bells and whistles (and gives you CEUs) but the activities on changing group policies in Windows and creating Security Templates and such, while they are valuable real-world things, don't do much for helping to pass a multiple-choice exam. so far. However, the first section (which I have already covered in Darrill's book) gave me 100% on the CompTIA section 1 assessment covering CIA and encryption. Kudos to Darrill for relevance.
    What do you want to do for a career in IT?

So my new plan is to "break into" the cyber security field. The only cert i currently hold is the Sec +. I think the next move should be Net+, and then I'm not to sure. I think I'd like to start with CEH. Any suggestions? I'm very interested in cyber security in general.