How Do I Get Past This Interview Question ? Group Interview w/Help Desk Team !

Techies,

I have an interview scheduled tomorrow for a help desk position. It's a group interview with the team.

One question that I know they might ask is why I have 5 different employers in the last 5 years?

How should I respond to that ? I’ve held some jobs for less then 7 months. Not because of performance issues but because I wanted to finish my degree and kept leaving my job and went back to college.

Now, I’ve made my decision to stop going to school and start focusing more towards my career and professional certifications.

What do you guys think?

Furthermore, any advice or experience on how to tackle a group interview with the help desk team? What questions do you think they will ask? and do you think there will be any behavioral questions?

Keep in mind that I have already passed the phone screen which didn't have many technical questions.

I will really look forward to any feedback or advice given, thank you.

-Teksource

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the last 3 years I have had several jobs (4 employers) 1 job for a year and a half, 2 jobs for 6 months and 1 job for 2 months. I have never been fired from a job and I don't think it has hurt me at all. I explain to people when I am interviewing (I have one in a few hours as well) that I have worked a few contracts and my multiple jobs show my diverse background and skill set.

I am just curious why did you have to leave work to go to school? I know many people who hold down full time jobs and go to school? Did you feel that the degree would be more worth while than the experience you would have gained at those jobs?
  • teksource1984teksource1984 Member Posts: 100
    Yes, I couldn't do both at once. I attended school full time so I could get my degree faster. That's why I left.

I passed the phone screen interview with flying colors. Lot's of generic questions.

Now, the hiring manager wants to bring me in for a team interview.

What type of questions do you think they will ask me for the 2nd round ?
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    - Find out whos attending interview.
    - Get a full job description from them if they can provide one. Research about the company you are applying to. Ask lot's of questions about the company and how the IT helpdesk helps provide service to the users.
    - Bring enough copies of your CV to hand out.
    - Make sure you know your CV well. Make sure there are no gaps in your career/study summary, if there are - make sure you can explain them.

You probably know all the above already, but hey just repeating for you.

Most importantly, do not panic about the situation you have described to us. Explain clearly and confidently on the decisions you have made, only if they ask.

Oh you didn't mention if you finished your degree or not?

Helpdesk team interviews will involve a lot of questions about how you would troubleshoot stuff. Especially if the meeting is seated by techies. They will say user xxx can't connect to the network, explain your troubleshooting process. They really can tell a lot about your abilities to think quickly on the spot and work efficiently to fix issues, so make sure you have brushed up on your troubleshooting thought process.

If a helpdesk manager is present, they will like to hear how you can be approachable, fair and firm to the users. Sell on the people skills part especially if the helpdesk manager is there, helpdesk work is 90% people skills. After all, people skills will help you understand that when jayne says her internet has stopped working she actually means the IE desktop icon has disappeared ;)

Best of luck.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    My 2cents... I have left jobs to find better opportunities. If a new position presents itself it is probable that I will go for it. With that said, my last job I was there for 5 years so that at least shows I am willing to stay given the right circumstances. icon_wink.gif
    CCNP :study:
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Be honest, and show passion to stay with this company.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

How should I respond to that ? I’ve held some jobs for less then 7 months. Not because of performance issues but because I wanted to finish my degree and kept leaving my job and went back to college.
    This isn't a really good answer, even though it happens to be the truth.

It's easy for you to say you decided to stop going to school and are going to focus on employment now, but I'm sure you've said that in the past. Even if you didn't, it's easy to think you did. Did you finish your degree? If you kept stopping work to finish your degree and didn't finish, you look even worse IMO. You look like someone who doesn't finish what they start.

I'm not even sure how I would spin this. I would just finish my degree if at all possible.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pash wrote: »
    Explain clearly and confidently on the decisions you have made, only if they ask.
    Disagree strongly here. Anyone who looks at his resume can see he doesn't stay at a job long. Plus there are likely gaps in his employment where he didn't work but went to school. Even if they don't ask him, they are certainly thinking that he is a guy who won't stick around past 6 months. He needs to address the unspoken questions in their mind.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Disagree strongly here. Anyone who looks at his resume can see he doesn't stay at a job long. Plus there are likely gaps in his employment where he didn't work but went to school. Even if they don't ask him, they are certainly thinking that he is a guy who won't stick around past 6 months. He needs to address the unspoken questions in their mind.

Not sure how this company does their recruitment, but usually his CV would already be hand of the person doing his screening telephone interview, if the question wasn't asked then and he now has a face to face interview, it may never come up. This is why I say that, or, it might be the very first question they ask, who knows.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It does look like there are some issues with you committing to one thing. If you do get this job I would highly recommend you stick with it for at least 2 years to show that you can and will stick with 1 thing.
    If you get the urge to go back to school to finish (which I highly recommend) you should probably look into going online and finishing this time. Do this while working as that will show you have matured and you are able to complete what you start.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not sure how this company does their recruitment, but usually his CV would already be hand of the person doing his screening telephone interview, if the question wasn't asked then and he now has a face to face interview, it may never come up. This is why I say that, or, it might be the very first question they ask, who knows.

CV isn't that big in the US. Typically only a cover letter and a resume are used unless something more specific is requested. IIRC CV's are more typical in Europe?? And yes, the resume tends to be in hand before the interview, but it recommended to take additional copies.

I agree with PASH though, take great caution before answering/volunteering information that wasn't requested. And NO that doesn't mean being dishonest or to hide anything, just focus on what is requested.

Just a comment as something that would be a flag for myself if I were in that group...
    The lack of time at any one job and the leaving work to attend school. As another person mentioned...it is VERY possible to work full time and attend college full time. So, leaving work to only attend school would concern me because, what if I hired you and needed you to attend continuing ed classes? Am I expected to let you out of your job responsibilities to only focus on the schooling? With IT and the amount of training needed for this field...that point would be a flag to me that you might be a candidate suited for another organization or some other field.

simply my 5 cents!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Techies,

I have an interview scheduled tomorrow for a help desk position. It's a group interview with the team.

One question that I know they might ask is why I have 5 different employers in the last 5 years?

Now, I’ve made my decision to stop going to school and start focusing more towards my career and professional certifications.

What do you guys think?

Furthermore, any advice or experience on how to tackle a group interview with the help desk team? What questions do you think they will ask? and do you think there will be any behavioral questions?

Keep in mind that I have already passed the phone screen which didn't have many technical questions.

I will really look forward to any feedback or advice given, thank you.

-Teksource

The days of working with the same company for 20+ years are nearly goine. I have heard of interviewers who ask the opposite. "Why have you been in the same job for the last year?" And if you can't justify that with taking on more responsibilities/promotions then they won't hire you.

Just be honest and explain your point. If you are a full time student and jobs get in the way then it is acceptable to leave them. Just explain now that you are out of school and ready to break in with the industry.

Some employers might not like the answer, while others will love it. One of my teachers told me a few months back when I was going from interview to interview that it just takes time to find that chemistry between a job that you want and an employer that wants you. If you don't get this one, you might end up getting an offer from a company tomorrow that pays better and is doing something you would prefer more.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    humble2007 wrote: »

Some employers might not like the answer, while others will love it. One of my teachers told me a few months back when I was going from interview to interview that it just takes time to find that chemistry between a job that you want and an employer that wants you. If you don't get this one, you might end up getting an offer from a company tomorrow that pays better and is doing something you would prefer more.

icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • patricholierpatricholier Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

I agree with this. "Why are you looking to leave your current employer?" is usually one of the 1st, if not the 1st question I get asked during the initial phone screening. I can't say it's come up again later in the interview process. I have had a couple ask me why I left some of my previous employers as well.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    The days of working with the same company for 20+ years are nearly goine. I have heard of interviewers who ask the opposite. "Why have you been in the same job for the last year?" And if you can't justify that with taking on more responsibilities/promotions then they won't hire you.

This does happen, although when applying for senior roles it's often advisable to have been holding down a previous job at a similar level for at least a year. It takes elapsed time to deliver major results in a organisation so interviewers really want to see that you have stuck something out long enough to have delivered something significant.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Yes, I couldn't do both at once. I attended school full time so I could get my degree faster. That's why I left.

I would word your answer very carefully here. My first impression reading that statement is you don't know how to multi task, handle multiple projects at one time or you aren't good under pressure. I know school is different on some aspects, I just don't know if I would tell them that you couldn't do both at once. I would make sure to word it more carefully such as you wanted to dedicate your attention and focus 100% to your studies.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    You could always claim some of them were short term contracts icon_wink.gif
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Techies,

If it comes up, answer honestly. If you try and bullshit, they'll know it.

I doubt it will, though. If they're willing to bring you in for a full team interview, chances are they've already noticed it, and decided you're worth the risk. Panel interviews are normally for testing personality compatibility and technical competence (ie, you don't have google at your fingertips like you would on a phone screen!)
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    My interview was much like this, for a level 2 tech job (basically all hands on, no phone work). I was interviewed by the entire IT staff, in which I sat at a small table, with a laptop that the Senior Network Engineer "Broke".

They proceeded to ask me, here is my issue questions and I had to just fix it, while they watched over my shoulder.

couple of Random questions, and one that I answered so quickly with a funny comment that I thought I blew it.

Q: Do you know how to wipe Blackberry phones incase of a problem?

My answer based on the problems I had with Blackberry phones was:

A: Throw it on the ground and drive over it a few times.

They all laughed very hard.

2 days later, I was hired.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When i was working Help Desk, I was on the other side of this interview process.

For me at lease, when our manager brought a candidate in the 2nd time around it was more about seeing how he fits in with the team, and not so much knowledge. Just my 2 cents.

IMO, i would start off by selling yourself, your skill set what you bring to the table.

And before they can ask you about 5 different job in 5 years, you bring it up and answer it for them.
    X
  • cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Repo Man wrote: »
    You could always claim some of them were short term contracts icon_wink.gif

This man is a genius
    X
  • patricholierpatricholier Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience?
    I found some references on this subject, please refer to everyone here: Group interview questions
    Best regards.