Options

Network Engineer Phone Screen

1235»

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    glad to hear you got the offer! congrats.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Does the radius reside in VM?
    If it is then 99 % its a VM problem. Lol damn those VM admins lol
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    glad to hear you got the offer! congrats.

Thanks!
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Does the radius reside in VM?
    If it is then 99 % its a VM problem. Lol damn those VM admins lol

Nope lol not quite.

Hey did you use the official CCNA:W book or did you use the Todd Lammel book?
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    did you use the official CCNA:W book or did you use the Todd Lammel book?

I had used the Official CCNA: W book when I was studying for the CCNA:W

The WLC Config guides also offer a great of source of knowledge for dealing with the actual WLC, and are definitely worth a look at.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Thanks!

Nope lol not quite.

Hey did you use the official CCNA:W book or did you use the Todd Lammel book?
    i used the official but i think their the same. Todd has a better review in amazon
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    i used the official but i think their the same. Todd has a better review in amazon

Ah ok. I might just pick up Todd's guide.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So did you actually get the job or is it not official yet?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    So did you actually get the job or is it not official yet?

I got the job pending a background check (which I will pass). Should have everything officially later today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got the job pending a background check (which I will pass). Should have everything officially later today or tomorrow.

In the words of Charlie Sheen,

*cough cough*

Duhhhh winnninngggggg!!!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    He's bi-winning. No....tri-winning. Nay....INFINI-WINNING!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Congrats! That is awesome icon_cheers.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I got the official paper work now.

I noticed on the description of the position that they mentioned CCNP, CCIP and CCSP so that is what I am going to go after for now. After WCNA in a few weeks its going to be cisco hardcore until I grab those three. I really want to grab CWNA/CWSP but I probably won't have much time icon_sad.gif Oh well, I can always study the material. I might be able to pull them down as well. Mostly I want to use them as prep for GWAN at some point but that is further down the line...

The challenge is going to be making 100% sure that I bake security into everything I do.

Thanks guys for all the support, even when I was being a dick. I will cherish the jewels of knowledge someone of you have dropped on me (especially forsaken because that guys knows some stuff) and I hope to learn many new and exciting things as I make my way towards the routergods.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I noticed on the description of the position that they mentioned CCNP, CCIP and CCSP so that is what I am going to go after for now. After WCNA in a few weeks its going to be cisco hardcore until I grab those three. I really want to grab CWNA/CWSP but I probably won't have much time icon_sad.gif Oh well, I can always study the material. I might be able to pull them down as well. Mostly I want to use them as prep for GWAN at some point but that is further down the line...

The challenge is going to be making 100% sure that I bake security into everything I do.

Thanks guys for all the support, even when I was being a dick. I will cherish the jewels of knowledge someone of you have dropped on me (especially forsaken because that guys knows some stuff) and I hope to learn many new and exciting things as I make my way towards the routergods.

Congratulations. Im sure you will do very well in the role.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Congratulations. Im sure you will do very well in the role.

If I can get half as good as you are....icon_thumright.gif

Now the really tough part: The notice!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    If I can get half as good as you are....icon_thumright.gif

Now the really tough part: The notice!

Don't let emotions get in the way, it will be hard to say I'm leaving the day I do. You gotta do whats best for you and your career.
  • Options
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats bro, well earned.

This is the beginning of something great! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    Don't let emotions get in the way, it will be hard to say I'm leaving the day I do. You gotta do whats best for you and your career.

You are right. Putting my notice in today. Unfortunately I will only be able to give them a one week notice.
  • Options
    ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    Congratulations! How funny, I am walking into our Deputy Directors office to give my two week notice in about 30 minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□

Congrats man! Make sure you relax.. it's stressful enough changing jobs. Don't try to pile on "Oh I need to be certed in this, this, and this to be qualified for my job." If they want you to get the NP focus on that for now and then work long term towards the other stuff. I hope I don't sound like a jerk when I say that you jump around too much. You'll get to the SANS stuff eventually, I know you want to do it so bad but just be patient and work at becoming the best you can with what you're doing now. I think you and I are at similar experience levels and I get just as excited as you do about certing but I have to hold myself back sometimes and say "That's not realistic, lets focus on that for the next 3-5 years instead of 1 year". I know you didn't mention time lines either so you could be thinking more long term then I believe you are. If so, my bad and disregard the statement about slowing down. Good luck though, it looks like you are moving in the direction you want to end up.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You are right. Putting my notice in today. Unfortunately I will only be able to give them a one week notice.

Grats man.

Band aid treatment works best, just get it over with. Don't explain yourself, don't get emotional, and if they decide to yell at you, simply walk out the door. You don't need to put up with that crap.
  • Options
    Grats man.

Band aid treatment works best, just get it over with. Don't explain yourself, don't get emotional, and if they decide to yell at you, simply walk out the door. You don't need to put up with that crap.

Thanks.

You were spot on. I ended up handling it. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. All my other jobs were at huge shops, I didn't really have any interaction with my manager but this time I had to walk into her office and tell her how I felt. It wasn't easy but she agreed with me (the situation between a coworker and I is a sticky one).

All in all, it's done. Now time for some dinner and WCNA studying (plus WCNA/Network Warrior reading this weekend with some last minute change request).
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Congrats man! Make sure you relax.. it's stressful enough changing jobs. Don't try to pile on "Oh I need to be certed in this, this, and this to be qualified for my job." If they want you to get the NP focus on that for now and then work long term towards the other stuff. I hope I don't sound like a jerk when I say that you jump around too much. You'll get to the SANS stuff eventually, I know you want to do it so bad but just be patient and work at becoming the best you can with what you're doing now. I think you and I are at similar experience levels and I get just as excited as you do about certing but I have to hold myself back sometimes and say "That's not realistic, lets focus on that for the next 3-5 years instead of 1 year". I know you didn't mention time lines either so you could be thinking more long term then I believe you are. If so, my bad and disregard the statement about slowing down. Good luck though, it looks like you are moving in the direction you want to end up.

I feel you. I am just going to focus on what is in my sig (cert wise) for now. You don't sound like a jerk. I know I tend to pile it high. Part of that is me wanting to compensate for my lack of experience and education but I am going to slow it down. Kill the WCNA and CCNP and then work towards some other stuff (probably CWNA).
  • Options
    I feel you. I am just going to focus on what is in my sig (cert wise) for now. You don't sound like a jerk. I know I tend to pile it high. Part of that is me wanting to compensate for my lack of experience and education but I am going to slow it down. Kill the WCNA and CCNP and then work towards some other stuff (probably CWNA).

Whenever I get frustrated at my lack of progress in something, I just remind myself that every time I read the book, the tortoise wins the race.
  • Options

You can't compensate lack of experience or education with certification. Experience teaches you how something should be done, education teaches you what might be done, certification teaches you what a vendor thinks needs to be done to get their share price up. But certification is useful nontheless. Try not to dilute your efforts by battering through tracks though. I honestly think a well baked CCNP is worth so much more than a crash course CCNP+IP+SP+VP. You need elapsed time and reflection to really make sense of it all!
  • Options
    You can't compensate lack of experience or education with certification. Experience teaches you how something should be done, education teaches you what might be done, certification teaches you what a vendor thinks needs to be done to get their share price up. But certification is useful nontheless. Try not to dilute your efforts by battering through tracks though. I honestly think a well baked CCNP is worth so much more than a crash course CCNP+IP+SP+VP. You need elapsed time and reflection to really make sense of it all!

Amen.

It wasn't until I started working with this stuff for realz that I realized how little certifications prepare you for actual operations.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need elapsed time and reflection to really make sense of it all!
    Very, very true.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options

I hear you. The thing about the new ccnp is that unlike the old ccnp, it is strictly a R/S cert now. I kind of wish I could have done the old one, since it seemed more "complete".

As car as compensate, maybe that isn't the best word. Like I know that me having a ccnp wouldn't make up for the fact that I don't have a degree (yet--I really need to get that done). I have some experience but not a ton of network engineering experience. What I am saying is me having a ccnp and experience (and an AAS in a few months) might put me in a better spot than some of my counterparts but until I get the degree, I will just have the certs and experience. So if i only have certs and experience, I should at least have decent certs and good experience (if that makes sense). Put it this way, if I just had my current experience and like network+, my future employer would not have even interviewed me.
  • Options
    I hear you. The thing about the new ccnp is that unlike the old ccnp, it is strictly a R/S cert now. I kind of wish I could have done the old one, since it seemed more "complete".

Honestly, you're probably better off with the new one. While the old one was more well-rounded, it was at the cost of not covering some fundamentals as deep as they needed to be. All the extra topics were not very helpful either, since they rarely touched deep enough on certain things. It'll serve you better to get focused on the fundamentals and then branch out from there.
  • Options
    Honestly, you're probably better off with the new one. While the old one was more well-rounded, it was at the cost of not covering some fundamentals as deep as they needed to be. All the extra topics were not very helpful either, since they rarely touched deep enough on certain things. It'll serve you better to get focused on the fundamentals and then branch out from there.

I agree. Some of the formats of the older tracks tried to do too much so the quality went. I have been concentrating on R&S for over 10 years now and I still haven't got it all figured out. Everything began with R&S and still begins with R&S. It makes the rest easier to pick up.