Virtualization Security training

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm looking at attending one of the two training classes below and was curious if anybody had any experience with them.

VMware vSphere: Manage and Design for Security [V4.1]
VMware vSphere: Manage and Design for Security [V4.1]

Virtualization Security Fundamentals
SANS Network Security 2011 - Virtualization Security Fundamentals

I'm interested in both but will probably have to pick one. I'm leaning towards the SANS class simply because I've heard the vmware course still needs some work. Plus CPE's and the fact it is in Vegas are a bonus. =)

Pricing
VMware is $2900
SANS is $1950
Govt pricing is probably cheaper.

Time Requirement
VMware is 3 days Mon-Wed.
SANS is 2 days Sun-Mon.

Thanks,
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know anyone who has done either course. Do you have a course outline for each?

If the vSphere course is, as you say, needing some work, then I might would give the SANS course some stronger consideration, unless you feel that you need to emphasize vSphere specific security features or go for the VCAP certs.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The VMware course is based around the Security Hardening Guide for vSphere, which contains contributions from consultants, engineers, and architects within VMware as well as the wider community:
    VMware Communities: vSphere 4.1 Hardening Guide
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    scott28tt wrote: »
    The VMware course is based around the Security Hardening Guide for vSphere, which contains contributions from consultants, engineers, and architects within VMware as well as the wider community:
    VMware Communities: vSphere 4.1 Hardening Guide

The problem with this is my boss will ask me to justify a $3k class when I can read the manual for free. Which I have already done.

The closest thing I have to an outline is the links I posted in my original post. They appear to cover most of the same material with a few exceptions. I may end up having my company pay for the vmware class and I'll cover the SANS class on my own.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)