2 Routers, 1 Internet Connection. Help!

AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a problem that I'm trying to solve and I figured this might be the place to get some help. I have a Cisco 2612 router and Cisco 2610XM router and I'm trying to see if I can route my internet connection through one. Here is the problem. These routers both have only one ethernet port each, so I can't just hook one port to my cable modem and one port to my PC. I'm trying to hook them up back to back with a serial crossover cable with the ethernet port of the 2612 connected to my cable modem, and the ethernet port of the 2610XM connected to my PC or a switch. Here's what I've done so far:

Using the 2612, I connected the ethernet port to my cable modem, and set this port to get an IP address via DHCP from my ISP. I can ping an address on the Internet from this router after I do this. I then connected a serial cable between the 2612 (the router with the internet connection) and the 2610XM. I set an IP address on serial 0/0 of the 2612 to 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 and set serial 0/0 of the 2610XM to 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0. I set the clock rate on the 2610XM (the DCE end of the connection) and I can ping between the routers with no problem. Here is where my problem lies:

I cannot ping an address on the Internet (such as 4.2.2.2) from the 2610XM. I have tried setting a static default route on this router (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0/0) so that it points to the 2612 as the static default route. I've also tried the redistribute static command on the 2612 (the ip address of the ISP is set as the static route on this router through DHCP). This doesn't work either. Does anyone have any clues as to what I'm doing wrong? Can I even do it this way, or do I just need to get one router that has two ethernet ports (which I'm planning on doing anyway). Thanks for any help you can provide.
CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+

Comments

• techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    AD227529 wrote: »
    I have a problem that I'm trying to solve and I figured this might be the place to get some help. I have a Cisco 2612 router and Cisco 2610XM router and I'm trying to see if I can route my internet connection through one. Here is the problem. These routers both have only one ethernet port each, so I can't just hook one port to my cable modem and one port to my PC. I'm trying to hook them up back to back with a serial crossover cable with the ethernet port of the 2612 connected to my cable modem, and the ethernet port of the 2610XM connected to my PC or a switch. Here's what I've done so far:

Using the 2612, I connected the ethernet port to my cable modem, and set this port to get an IP address via DHCP from my ISP. I can ping an address on the Internet from this router after I do this. I then connected a serial cable between the 2612 (the router with the internet connection) and the 2610XM. I set an IP address on serial 0/0 of the 2612 to 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 and set serial 0/0 of the 2610XM to 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0. I set the clock rate on the 2610XM (the DCE end of the connection) and I can ping between the routers with no problem. Here is where my problem lies:

I cannot ping an address on the Internet (such as 4.2.2.2) from the 2610XM. I have tried setting a static default route on this router (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0/0) so that it points to the 2612 as the static default route. I've also tried the redistribute static command on the 2612 (the ip address of the ISP is set as the static route on this router through DHCP). This doesn't work either. Does anyone have any clues as to what I'm doing wrong? Can I even do it this way, or do I just need to get one router that has two ethernet ports (which I'm planning on doing anyway). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Did you add the ip classless command after the default network command?
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Don't forget about setting up NAT on the router connected to the modem.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Yeah, I would have to agree with billy here. Your 2612 is able to make it out to the internet because when you are pinging from it, it is using it's DHCP obtained IP (Public) assigned to the ethernet port as it's source address. When the 2610 routes through the 2612, it is trying to get out to the internet using a private address.

Throw some PAT on that 2612, and you should be golden. icon_thumright.gif
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's working! WooHoo! Thanks to all you guys for your help. I set NAT translation (actually PAT since I'm using overload) on the 2612, set a default route on the 2610XM to point to it, set 4.2.2.2 as my name-server in my DHCP settings on the 2610XM and my switch and all is good. I appreciate all the help. You guys are the best!
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • raidenerraidener Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    AD227529 wrote: »
    It's working! WooHoo! Thanks to all you guys for your help. I set NAT translation (actually PAT since I'm using overload) on the 2612, set a default route on the 2610XM to point to it, set 4.2.2.2 as my name-server in my DHCP settings on the 2610XM and my switch and all is good. I appreciate all the help. You guys are the best!

I have the same issue, can you show me step by step how you configure it to work. thnx