Options

Indecisive - Continue AAS or WGU?

Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
I'm 29 and working to change career paths. Grocery retail management sucks, so I'm going to do what I love with computers. I already have a BA-Soc, an MBA (that's worth nothing since I got it in the rush where everyone else was), and my A+. I'm planning on knocking out another cert, most likely Linux+ before fall. I'm in an AAS program now at a community college, but after seeing the threads about WGU and their setup, I'm interested, especially that I can knock out as much as I want per semester and go at my own pace, and considering the work I could do when I was getting my MBA, I can handle a lot. If you were in my shoes, would you keep going with the AAS program or go whole hog?
"If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
"Great things have small beginnings."

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would love to have those degrees you have even though it's not IT-related. I think you can still get an IT job somewhere with the degrees you have now. The only thing you need now are experience and certs. You would at least have to start somewhere, even if it's too entry-level for you.
  • Options
    In reading through the WGU site, it'd actually be a good way to get my certs as well as some more knowledge as well. I'm sort of stuck for the moment in terms of career change, as my finances dictate that I stay where I am until my wife finishes nursing school, after which she'll probably be making more than I do now anyway. I'm going to see about doing some volunteer work or something on the side to get some hands on experience.

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Given your education it might be worth it to do neither and put that money towards hardware to play around with. You could get an entry level job now at the right company.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would love to have those degrees you have even though it's not IT-related. I think you can still get an IT job somewhere with the degrees you have now. The only thing you need now are experience and certs. You would at least have to start somewhere, even if it's too entry-level for you.

In this case, I agree.

How far along are you with the AAS? If you're halfway there, I would probably just complete it. I don't think that I would invest the huge amount of money in another 4-year degree if you already have a MBA. Certs (which you should be able to get through some of your AAS course work) and experience are what you lack.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I guess I'm might end up sticking with the AAS and going from there. Part of the reason I went back for it was to help with the reduction in income we took when my wife went back to school. I have the bulk of student loans, and we were just making it before she went back, but if I wasn't going now (and my loans weren't in deferment) we'd be sunk every month. Nothing is really too entry level for me, but for right now at least, I have to maintain where I am financially to keep things going. This means I can't take any cut in pay or we're done. If someone wanted to pay me exactly what I make now to dig ditches, I'd jump ship. I've been looking at the job sites and such, but I feel scared to apply simply because I'd be asking for a certain amount of pay for an entry level job with no real experience. And I don't really have the option of the extremes like selling my house or anything because the market here sucks and I live in an unfinished development. I'm locked in for the long haul, for now at least.

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

/\
    ::
    ::

This! Save yourself some money and just start working on gaining experience and IT certifications. If you are almost finished with your degree than finish, if not than stop. In the IT field a Bachelor degree in any area will help, since all HR cares about is check marking the box that says Bachelor degree. I've know people in IT with every degree type under the sun. Someone on here even has a BS in Zoology icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    After fall semester, I'll only have 12 classes left, which means by the end of Fall 2012 I can be done. I'm going to have to stick with this at least financially for right now, as I cannot afford to have my student loans come back into repayment. This plan at least gives me untill June 2013 before that happens, and my wife will be out, passed boards and with a job by then. I know she'll be good by the time she's done, as 28 out of 28 people from the spring RN class passed their boards and 28 out of 28 got jobs within three months of graduation.

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, you should be going for a second masters right now instead of an aas. They both take the same amount of time....

Dude, I would enroll in an IT masters degree and drop the aas.

Online Programs

Above is a great school in the Chicago area that offers multiple masters online, full video lectures of the classroom based classes that you can watch anytime, and also live streaming of the classrooms with digital chalk board/white board and the ability to raise your hand digitally live in class and ask questions through your microphone.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    You have an MBA I would think you can easily get an IT management position (not very technical sometimes but it can get you into IT).
  • Options
    I'm just sticking with the AAS. I can't afford to job hop now unless it's for the same pay, and I can't afford to not be in school so my loans are not in deferment. Either way, I have to be in school until she is done or we are in deep financially every month. Well, more than I already am. I just cannot afford to be out of school.

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Masters degree takes 2 years to complete and is a lot less credits than an Associates degree. This means you could sign up for an masters in IT or IS and take 1 or 2 classes at a time. You will usually have to take more classes than that at the same time for an associates.

2 year masters degree = 30-45 credit hours
    2 year associates degree = 60-64 credit hours
    4 years bachelors degree = 120 credit hours.

If you go with a masters you will have much more prestige in your degree and you will be able to take less classes at one time.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller