Which first: VCP4 or MCITP: VA?

ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
Well, I'm just finishing up my MCITP: EA and considering the next step.

So, are there any advantages to doing either VCP4 or MCITP: VA first?

Just to give some background... Basically, I know VCP will be a requirement for work. It's definitely the big thing that everyone seems to take note of or really even care about. As for VA, the reaction is just "That would be nice too."
Current Study Track
EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you need the VCP for work, then I think you have your answer.

In general, coming off the completion of the MCITP, I would still look at the VCP first. Get started with the gold standard of server/network virtualization, and take a step back from only seeing the "Microsoft way" of doing things.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The MCITP: VA covers more than just Hyper-V. If you just want to learn Hyper-V you can do 70-659 (or 70-652, which is easier but outdated). The other exams are mainly useful if you are going to be working with desktop virtualization.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Yeah, I know it covers more than just Hyper-V. There also seems to be SCVMM stuff.

I think I remember reading that SCVMM also supports ESXi machines in some capacity, which is why I was wondering whether having the VCP4 background first would come in handy while studying for VA.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a dedicated exam for SCVMM (70-403). The SCVMM coverage is pretty minimal for the VA exams (from what I can remember).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think if VCP is a requirement for work, and they're going to pay for the course, most definitely do that first. MCITP:VA you can self study for, and if you're not using Hyper-V/SCVMM - go with VCP4.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take the troubleshooting class, not the install class for VCP.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Take the troubleshooting class, not the install class for VCP.

Any particular reason-- pro or con?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote: »
    Any particular reason-- pro or con?

I took the trouble shooting class after I took the exam. A lot of stuff in the trouble shooting class was in the exam. I mentioned it to the instructor and he felt trouble shooting was better prep for the exam.

Install is pretty basic. You can get that info by watching 1 of the video series.

Also if you're familiar with VMware then install class is repeat of stuff you know (basic), while trouble shooting will probably contain stuff you're not familiar with (advanced).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
    Thanks for the input. I have the Train Signal video which so far seems really good to me.

If I feel comfortable after listening to all of them, I might just take your advice when time to take the class.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I completely disagree that the Troubleshooting class is better prep for the exam - there's little in that class that aligns with the exam blueprint. I'm a VCI by the way, a VCP4, and have delivered both courses many times...

Install Configure Manage is much closer to the VCP - a foundation-level course for a foundation-level certification - the content of that class is pretty well aligned to the objectives in the VCP exam blueprint. Install Configure Manage is still very challenging for those that have little or no vSphere experience.

Troubleshooting is a good option for those who are skilled to VCP-level but still need to attend an official course to qualify for the certification.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    And for those looking to certify past VCP eventually.
    scott28tt wrote: »
    I completely disagree that the Troubleshooting class is better prep for the exam - there's little in that class that aligns with the exam blueprint. I'm a VCI by the way, a VCP4, and have delivered both courses many times...

Install Configure Manage is much closer to the VCP - a foundation-level course for a foundation-level certification - the content of that class is pretty well aligned to the objectives in the VCP exam blueprint. Install Configure Manage is still very challenging for those that have little or no vSphere experience.

Troubleshooting is a good option for those who are skilled to VCP-level but still need to attend an official course to qualify for the certification.

I think, based upon your extensive experience with the subject matter, I will follow your advice. Thanks!icon_wink.gif

scott28tt wrote: »

I agree with Scott. I have taken both classes. Neither class will completely prepare you for everything you will encounter on the exam, but ICM is a much better foundation for the VCP.

Also, if you do not understand most of the principles taught in the ICM course, you will be totally lost in the Troubleshooting class. It is intensive and there isn't a lot of time to stop the instructor questions about basic functionality.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...