CBT Nuggets VCP4?

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was wondering if the CBT Nuggets videos for the VCP4.1 track are any good? I am not talking about as a sole source but will they get you comfortable enough on the material initially, or not really worth it?

I already have access to them but wanted to see if it is worth my time versus just jumping into the textual materials that I have?

I know Train Signal is supposed to be pretty good but i do not have access to them. Thanks!
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't know about the Trainsignal, but I found the CBT Nugget series extremely helpful. Trainer does a very good overview of exam material.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah, okay great. Thanks. I was listening to the first two videos. It seemed okay although he does tend to speak a little too fast for my liking.

However, if you think it was worthwhile, I will listen to them all along with my reading and labbing.

My only regret is that since 5.0 will be released soon, I guess I would be repeating the process again soon. icon_smile.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

With all the videos I have watched so far (not VCP though) the trainsignal ones seem longer and more in detail whereas the cbt nuggets ones seem quite often "rushed".

I'd be tempted to say that CBT Nuggets requires more previous knowledge ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    Thanks, that was my general feeling too. Although, there are some pretty good CBT Nuggets out there

I've seen some of the TrainSignal videos and was very impressed. Have you attended the official training course that is required to be a VCP?
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
    No, not yet. I was trying to do as much pre-studying as possible before taking the course, so that it will seem more like a review if possible....

Thanks!

I heard that the Train Signal videos were pretty good but pricey, because there are so many videos, I guess.

Personally I meant I haven't watched the VCP videos from CBT Nuggets but I do own every single one for VMWare from Trainsignal - I love them ... I agree, they have quite a lot but you only really need this one for the VCP:

VMware vSphere Training, VMware ESX 4.0 Training, VCP Exam, VCDX Certification | Train Signal

The other ones are rather advanced and not needed for the exam but they are very helpful for the daily admin nightmares ... The rest, plus one which is currently in production, is good for the Advanced VCP ... I love the PowerCLI and Troubleshooting videos :)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to say that CBT Nuggets requires more previous knowledge ....
    I've seen the vSphere videos and felt the opposite, they are a good introduction but don't go into enough depth for the exam. That said, for the VCP I don't think there is one source that will do it all, you really need multiple sources (videos, books, documentation) and tons of hands-on experience.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    and tons of hands-on experience.

That's the key really. You can know all the PDF back to back and yet you still won't be able to answer certain questions unless you have seen certain screens day in and day out.

Having said that - the VCP3 was a lot worse when it came to "sneaky" questions.

You can compare it to say, learning to be a car mechanic ... Now you study and learn how a car works, but then they suddenly ask you what the colour is, of the VW Gold Mk 4 dash LEDs ...

You are likely to know only if you a. own one, or b. done a lot of work with Golfs and you came across one eventually :)
    Thanks for the input guys....I am taking a look at the Train Signal videos as well....

I've gone about half way through the Elias Khnaser vSphere 4 CBT so far and I've been pretty happy with it. Seems like you get a bit more exposure to going through steps and running into things that don't exactly go as planned and get exposed to some troubleshooting on the fly which is a nice bonus. I made it through the Trainsignal vSphere training entirely, and it was also pretty good I thought - didn't get as much out of it as I probably could have yet because my only trip through it was strictly the mp3's as I listened to them in my car as I travel a lot, plan to go through and watch the actual videos shortly.