Options

route or switch

smcanuffsmcanuff Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am about to start studying for my CCNP and would like to know if I should do the switch before the route exam.
Don't worry about what's ahead. Just go as far as you can. From there, you can see farther:cheers:

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really depends on your preference. SWITCH and ROUTE are fairly interchangeable, (but doing TSHOOT last is probably a good idea.) Why don't you start with the exam you think you might have an easier time with, and then move on to the other one?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    It's going to be a ton of information no matter which one you start with, do you have a particular area that you actually like dealing with? That might be the best one to start with. Me personally, I chose the ROUTE exam first because after I got the FLG's, the ROUTE book was the biggest, so I figured why not get the biggest pain out of the way.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Its up to you. Which device are you being exposed to: switch or route?

I started at the ROUTE > SWITCH > TSHOOT
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    I'm doing SWITCH before ROUTE for a couple of reasons:

Lots of people have had trouble with this exam (some say its the hardest one).
    I use switches every day, routers I do not.

For me I think the switch will be the easier exam, however, switch is a pain because of the equipment. You have to work with whatever you can get your hands on. Route can be entirely emulated with GNS3 (so I believe).
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    ray86ray86 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i passed the route and the switch
    the routing study was much more fun for me , most of the study is configuring using GNS3 only part i hated is the ipv6.
    switch was boring for me specially the security part and has many subjects that you need to read word by word and remember like wireless and voip .
    am glade i started with the routing ,gave me a push to go ahead and study switch.