Why is the Design track sooooo boring???

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Team,

I just finished my CCNA:Security and have started reading the CCDA book and it is really really boring me...

Just looking for a reason to continue or go straight to the CCIP...

Any thoughts or suggestions that'll help my attitude towards the design track?

Kind Regards.
David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi Team,

I just finished my CCNA:Security and have started reading the CCDA book and it is really really boring me...

Just looking for a reason to continue or go straight to the CCIP...

Any thoughts or suggestions that'll help my attitude towards the design track?

Kind Regards.
    David

Historically the tracks have been a bore. It is somewhat easier to learn implementation skills from books but much harder to learn good design. That's something you learn in the field when you are employed as a network designer. Some of what is covered has application though so just keep plugging away.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It is a definite change in attitude and thinking when it comes to the design track. However if you think being a good network engineer involves having nothing to do with design, you will find out quick you will be wrong.

I actually enjoyed reading how to properly construct and approach a network design using PPDIOO and how the network life cycle works. These boring tasks end up being very interesting once you start to understand them and then you start to realize, its not just about thinking what equipment you need, but what the customer goals are.

You start to realize the differences between Business Goals, Business constraints, technical goals, technical constraints. Knowing these and how to evaluate the needs of a business is critical in separating yourself from a CLI slave or from receiving network designs from someone else. Especially from that someone who doesnt even have cisco certifications or experience.

The CCDA is a little boring from a technical stand point, but i was shocked when i got into the CCDP. You thought you knew networks? guess again my friend, wait till you get to the CCDP. That is where all the interesting advanced technical designs are. I loved the CCDP, i hold that cert in high regards and as one of my favorites of all time! CCDP is where i feel most people thought the CCDA was going to be, unfortunately you have to start from the basics with CCDA before you get to what you were really looking for in the CCDP.

As for you a reason to go on would be only if you plan on going for the CCDP. If you pass CCDA you are only one exam away (ARCH) from being CCDP and having a very respectable cisco professional certification.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    You thought you knew networks? guess again my friend, wait till you get to the CCDP. That is where all the interesting advanced technical designs are.

Ditto that!icon_wink.gif:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

chrisone wrote: »
    I loved the CCDP, i hold that cert in high regards and as one of my favorites of all time!

Then I think you should upgrade your avatar. icon_lol.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Network design was probably the most interesting thing that ever put me to sleep. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though, it's really good stuff and knowing it is only going to help your career move from config-monkey to honest-to-goodness network engineer/architect. It's one of those things that, once you've really dove into it, you'll find it very interesting. Until then, though, it's going to feel like you're reading stereo instructions.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Until then, though, it's going to feel like you're reading stereo instructions.

Funny, I thought that it was more like assembly instructions for Ikea furniture! icon_smile.gif

For some, it might be tough to absorb but it really does put it all together.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Then I think you should upgrade your avatar. icon_lol.gif

Naw i am saving that change for the CCNP Security when i finish it this time next year LOLicon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, CCDA was the most boring, abstract and difficult Cisco certification I studied. But it definitely provides you with the glue to tie all the Associate or Professional tracks together. I'd honestly recommend you do the other tracks before tackling the Design tracks. And definitely get videos, either INE or CBT Nuggets.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also thought the CCDA was boring but it was awesome to learn some new things. Although the book didn't go into great depth on some things. I didn't know what BGP was and I never heard of Dark Fiber. It was cool to find the different formulas (I forgot to what and I don't have the book anymore). Some of the material was a little confusing to me, such as campus edge and stuff like that.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, thanks guys! This forum has a warm place in my heart... :)

Yeah, looks like I will jump back on the Design bandwagon and ride it all to the way to the CCDP.

I guess it just takes time and patience... I now understand the importance of design in the sense of career opportunities. I mean as much as I love hammering away at the command line I think the end goal for all of us is a big office with expensive coffee and little to no intervention in simple things like 'assigning an IP address on a router'...

Ahh life....

thanks people [David switches on his iPad and loads the bookmark to the last page he was on]

Note: and before anyone says it... Yes, I know I need a kindle icon_sad.gif

Kind Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...