Is my AS in Linux Admin going to be worth anything?

Mr.RitzMr.Ritz Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
There do not seem to be too many of these degrees and I do not want to spend the next 40 credit hours (its 63 total but I already have an AA) to find out I should have just got a few certs or got a 4 year degree in CS or IT.
I already have an AA so is it silly to be at a community college instead of a university?

Comments

• afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I would say yes you are wasting your time getting a second two year degree. I would jump into a four year program in CS/IT/Networking. Its important to know that a degree doesn't mean an instant 6 figure salary. Certs while you are working on your degree are good in my opinion. YMMV.
  • sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    Mr.Ritz wrote: »
    There do not seem to be too many of these degrees and I do not want to spend the next 40 credit hours (its 63 total but I already have an AA) to find out I should have just got a few certs or got a 4 year degree in CS or IT.
    I already have an AA so is it silly to be at a community college instead of a university?

If you were going to study networking and get your CCNA after your degree I'd say it would be a decent degree. Does your school offer any other degrees? Maybe a networking degree?
  • Mr.RitzMr.Ritz Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sentimetal wrote: »
    If you were going to study networking and get your CCNA after your degree I'd say it would be a decent degree. Does your school offer any other degrees? Maybe a networking degree?

The Linux admin AS is considered a specialization of networking but it is mostly Linux classes with basics in networking. By networking do you mean Cisco networking AS?
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think that if you can move on with the degree that you have then you should so you can hurry and get the four year degree. What is the title of the four year degree that you want?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    Mr.Ritz wrote: »
    The Linux admin AS is considered a specialization of networking but it is mostly Linux classes with basics in networking. By networking do you mean Cisco networking AS?

Yep. Community colleges usually offer an AS degree where you take the 4 CCNA classes produced by the Cisco Networking Academy.
    I think that if you can move on with the degree that you have then you should so you can hurry and get the four year degree. What is the title of the four year degree that you want?
    nformation Technology, BS
    The Information Technology (IT) Department is headquartered on the USF Polytechnic campus, a first for the USF system, which typically houses all academic colleges and departments at USF Tampa.

Information Technology is designed to bridge the gap between computer science and management information systems, providing students with knowledge of rapidly changing technology. USF Polytechnic's bachelor of science in information technology (BSIT) program emphasizes knowledge-based computer and information technology, traditional computer science concepts, as well as more practical topics including programming, applications, networking, systems administration and the management of a variety of computing environments.

This program features the required core of computing discipline courses necessary to give the future IT professionals a long-term handle on their careers. At the same time, the degree program is unique in its flexibility-because it has to be. IT is an extremely wide-ranging, rapidly evolving field of work, and no "cookie-cutter" degree program will work for such a breadth of career options. Therefore, the BSIT includes five IT-related electives-courses selected by the student as appropriate to the IT specialty or industry sector they wish to enter. These can be courses offered by the department, or even by other departments. A person aiming for an IT career in hospitals, for example, may elect to take some courses in health care or public health. A person who wishes to specialize in security can take several of the information security courses offered by the IT department.

When it comes to preparing students for a career and then helping them find their first position, this program includes two required courses with this specifically in mind. IT Senior Seminar exposes students to outside speakers on a wide range of topics, including IT career opportunities. Our "capstone" course, Senior Project in Information Technology, provides students an opportunity to demonstrate their mastery of IT skills, as well as their communication and critical thinking abilities. The senior project is frequently an internship with a local firm or agency. These experiences not only provide an important item on the student's resume, but may themselves lead to a job offer.

IT courses will not be taught by teaching assistants, but by full-time faculty members of the IT department. A rare exception may occur when the department is able to engage the services of a highly qualified adjunct professor to teach a topic in which he or she has current, real world experience.

Big problem is I can enroll in the program now but since I was going for History instead of science I have to backtrack over a year before I can start most of my core classes. Plus I have to take calc when I had failed math 3 times in community college icon_sad.gif
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    sentimetal wrote: »
    Yep. Community colleges usually offer an AS degree where you take the 4 CCNA classes produced by the Cisco Networking Academy.

linux skills are always a hot thing.

may we know what college you are attending? and what previous degree you hold?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    linux skills are always a hot thing.

may we know what college you are attending? and what previous degree you hold?

All I have right now is a transferable Associates of Arts. Going to Hillsborough community college now for the AS
    AS/AAS • Unix/Linux System Administration
    AS.NA.OPT3/AAS.NA.OPT3
    The purpose of this program is to prepare students for employment as a Unix or Linux system administrator or to provide
    supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in these occupations. The content prepares individuals
    to install information technology equipment, troubleshoot information technology equipment, and support information tech-
    nology users.
    Program Required Courses
    CEN 2939 Network Administrator Capstone ...................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CET 1172C Computer Upgrade and Repair .......................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CGS 1000 Introduction to Computers and Technology...................................................................... 3 cr.
    CGS 1555 Introduction to the Internet................................................................................................. 3 cr.
    CGS 1761 Computer Operating Systems............................................................................................. 3 cr.
    CGS 2301 Management Information Systems..................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CNT 1401 Introduction to Network Security....................................................................................... 3 cr.
    COP 2344 Shell Scripting ...................................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    COP 1000 Programming Logic............................................................................................................. 3 cr.
    CTS 2311 Unix/Linux Security ........................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CTS 2333 Unix/Linux Networking..................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CTS 1106 Introduction to Unix ............................................................................................................ 3 cr.
    CTS 1305 Introduction to Networking................................................................................................ 3 cr.
    CTS 2301 Unix/Linux Administration I ............................................................................................. 3 cr.
    CTS 2322 Unix/Linux Administration II ............................................................................................ 3 cr.
    Select 3 credit hours of electives from the following list:
    CET 1610 Cisco Router Technology .................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CET 2615 Cisco Advanced Router Technology .................................................................................. 3 cr.
    HILLSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE CATALOG 2010-2011 Hillsborough Community College Home 103
    CGS 1936 Perl and CGI ........................................................................................................................ 3 cr.
    CGS 2541 Database Design .................................................................................................................. 3 cr.
    CGS 2825 Web Site Management......................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CNT 2510 Wireless Networking........................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    COP 1220 Programming in “C” ........................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CTS 1327 Microsoft Window Professional ......................................................................................... 3 cr.
    CTS 1328 M/S Windows Server.......................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    AS/AAS • Office Administration
    AS.OA.OMTS/AS.OA.OSTS/ AAS.OA.MOA/AAS.OA.OMTS/AAS.OA.OSTS (63 Credit Hours)
    General Education Requirements
    NOTE: The following general education requirements apply to AS/AAS Office Systems Technology, AS/AAS Office Man-
    agement and AS/AAS Medical Office Administration.
    ENC 1101 English Composition I ......................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    MGF 1119 Introductory Mathematics w/Applications (non-transfer) or
    Mathematics General Education (transfer) ........................................................................ 3 cr.
    PSY 2012 General Psychology ............................................................................................................. 3 cr.
    SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology .................................................................................................... 3 cr.
    Humanities General Education........................................................................................... 3 cr.
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go to Fort Hays State University online iin KS for a bachelors in networking and telecommunications. They cover up to CCNP material woth lots of other great networking classes. Low tuition compared with other online universities. It is a real school with a real college football and basketball program. It is legit as your local university in your home town. I do not think there is a MATH componenet in the Bachelors program.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller