Advice on escaping the Helpdesk?

MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I'm new to the board, seems like a good place for some advice. Anyway I graduated from college about three or so years ago, and since then I've pretty much been bouncing around a few helpdesk/tech support jobs. Currently working a Helpdesk Technician gig that pays $16/hr or so. The job is decent and I get to work from home a lot, but that said, phone support is getting pretty tiresome... I really want to get into more of a Sys Admin type job, but it seems like even for the Jr. Sys Admin jobs they want someone with prior experience. So you kinda end up with the "Can't get the job without experience, can't get experience without a job" problem. Any advice or useful certs? All I have for now is my A+, I could easily get a Network+ but I'm not sure it's worthwhile. And it seems like everybody and their momma is trying to get their MCP/MCSA/MCSE though I may go for those anyway. I'm also thinking location is a factor since it's pretty hard to find ANY work in Michigan. But still, I'm starting to get scared that I'll be stuck on the helpdesk forever. Seems like the only jobs I get calls about are other Helpdesk/Tech Support jobs. Pretty hard to get promoted from within these days too as nobody seems to be leaving their job and/or retiring in this economy.

Comments

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    You're going to find it difficult to get a SA job with no experience no matter where you are especially with no certifications. Do you have a home server lab setup and are you familiar with doing administrative tasks on them? Do you have the skills/requirements that companies are going to look for in an admin(scripting, virtualization, etc?)

First thing you need to do is become the go to person at your current job for tough issues/escalations. Once management recognizes you ask for more responsibilities. This will be a good way to build up your resume. There are thousands of people working in a help desk right now in a similar situation as you. You need to find a way to stand out.
  • MC85MC85 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What certs would you think are useful for someone with just helpdesk experience? I'm thinking of going for certs but I don't want to do one that'll irrelevant without the proper experience to go with it. As far as the home server stuff, I mess around with Server 2003 (using VMware) and Active Directory, Group Policy, etc. type stuff at home, but I don't know if that's something that an employer would find relevant. Though I sometimes do stuff with Active Directory on the helpdesk too, at least as far as creating users, troubleshooting accounts, etc. But that said, even if I can't immediately get an SA job I'm just looking for general advice on maybe what better positions that several years of helpdesk experience would be useful in pursuing. Are there any non-helpdesk IT jobs that you think I might have a chance at?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm on the verge of leaving the helpdesk for a jr system admin or jr net admin after less than 6 months on the desk...

I feel I have this opportunity due to many reasons... for one, my company has plenty of room for advancement. I work hard to be the best at my current job. Doing this gives the supervisors in my company the faith in me to believe that even though I do not have experience, education, or certs for these roles, I will strive to do my best at those jobs. I have continued to pursue education and certs while advancing in my current job.

First and foremost, I say master your current job, that would be my advice
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend going after the MCITP: SA and paying your dues at the helpdesk or a support role. Ask co-workers to be involved in projects and study tickets or ask questions about resolutions from tickets you might have escalated or that were assigned to them. Generally, going the extra mile to figure things out or asking why looks great to managers, etc. Don't get too discouraged, with time you can get more involved with higher level work.

Personally, I can't escape doing Helpdesk work. Every job I have had requires you to know server admin work, networking, and to do some Helpdesk. This could be because of the economy or the fact I work for a consulting firm, but in my case, I can't escape the Helpdesk entirely.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I don't want to tell you to move but it seems like so many members here out of Michigan sing the same song about the IT job market being bad...may have to look else where .
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    Why not study up on Windows 7 as Snoker recommended? You could start off with your MCTS: Windows 7 and build upon, becoming an MCITP:SA.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sentimetal wrote: »
    Why not study up on Windows 7 as Snoker recommended? You could start off with your MCTS: Windows 7 and build upon, becoming an MCITP:SA.

While it's a good idea to be working on the MCTS's, it is quite highly recommended to do the server MCTS's before you do the Win7 MCTS. There are more than a few server technologies you should know before you tackle to the Win7 MCTS. If you had lots of experience you may be able to pass the Win7 MCTS without too much fuss, but if you dont I strongly recommend the server MCTS's first.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Essendon wrote: »
    While it's a good idea to be working on the MCTS's, it is quite highly recommended to do the server MCTS's before you do the Win7 MCTS. There are more than a few server technologies you should know before you tackle to the Win7 MCTS. If you had lots of experience you may be able to pass the Win7 MCTS without too much fuss, but if you dont I strongly recommend the server MCTS's first.

I've heard this. I haven't looked too much into it, but I will need to eventually. Which exam are people tackling first, anyway?
    Generally people look at the 640 first, but some folks (like me) do the 642 before the 640. The 642 is more networky (if there's such a word!) and the 640 is more into AD.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Essendon wrote: »
    Generally people look at the 640 first, but some folks (like me) do the 642 before the 640. The 642 is more networky (if there's such a word!) and the 640 is more into AD.

I'm guessing the 640 requires quite a bit of labbing. I've never worked with server labs outside a command line class I had to do for Server 03 a while back. I know more about networking than I do AD, haha. icon_study.gif
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard this. I haven't looked too much into it, but I will need to eventually. Which exam are people tackling first, anyway?
    The R2 book is out for 70-642, but the R2 book won't be out until August for 70-640. They don't overlap so you can choose one over the other but 70-642 might be the better one to start off with.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    The R2 book is out for 70-642, but the R2 book won't be out until August for 70-640. They don't overlap so you can choose one over the other but 70-642 might be the better one to start off with.

Didn't realize how much networking was involved with the Server 2008. I just finished the first Cisco Net Acad course myself and we haven't even touched OSPF or EIGRP, really.
    I'm guessing the 640 requires quite a bit of labbing. I've never worked with server labs outside a command line class I had to do for Server 03 a while back. I know more about networking than I do AD, haha. icon_study.gif
    Both exams require labbing, make no mistake. I did the 83-640, the one that had all the virtual labs in it. Given I had labbed a lot for this test, coupled with my server experience, made by experience with the 640 quite a breeze. Good luck with whichever you do, be it the 642 or the 640.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Didn't realize how much networking was involved with the Server 2008.
    Yupp, just like they say - There's more to it than meets the eye!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..