GNS3 or Packet Tracer

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
First off, thanks for all the advice on the previous thread

I was wondering what are you opinions regarding which is better between these two simulators for the test?

Comments

• XtendXtend Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in my opinion, GNS3 is better than PT since it is an emulator, not a simulator like PT. It runs on actual IOS images, so...it's kinda the real hardware, only w/o having to plug/unplug cables from it, and w/o the extra heat and noise in the room.
    GNS3 does not emulate switches tho, so PT may be better in this category.

But still everything that is emulate is better than simulated, that's my opinion at least :)
  • VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suggest you learn to use both. PT is more like the simulations in the exams. GNS3 doesnt do switching but it allows you to do a lot more commands than PT. Both compliment each other very well and it should only take couple of days to learn to use them both.
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    for ccna

packet tracer is enough

but if u want to see how real ios looks

then only go for gns3

u require good computer with ram and processor for gns3 as it consums more space
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can somehow get ahold of IOS then I'd say go with GNS. You will be disappointed by the lack of frame-relay in PT. There is the FR-cloud but really... Also a few other commands aren't implemented in PT like for authentication with eigrp, there is no key chain command. PT could be sufficient but if you can, go with GNS3
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • mackx001mackx001 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my case i will to use both of it!

PK is advantage than GNS3 because you figure-out how packet can travel even GNS3 is not.
    But GNS3 can work in real IOS even the PK is basic only that's why i will to use both of it. :)