Options

Interview Questionsonce

miggs78miggs78 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I have a 2nd interview tomorrow, I've been there before.

There's couple questions they asked me,

Why is OSPF better than EIGRP? the only reason I can think of is because it forms neighbors before sending LSAs and it is supported by multiple vendors, but they still wanted a better answer...

Also if a DHCP server is located in another city than the client, how would the client get an ip add from the server, I'm thinking it's a DHCP Relay Agent, if that is right, how exactly does a relay agent works ?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    miggs78 wrote: »

Why is OSPF better than EIGRP? the only reason I can think of is because it forms neighbors before sending LSAs and it is supported by multiple vendors, but they still wanted a better answer...

Maybe the answer they were looking for is that OSPF isn't a better protocol per se. and for you to explain that EIGRP is a superior protocol with easier configuration faster convergence due to feasible successors and the abilty to summarise at any point in the network. Then go on to explain that even with this in mind, OSPF is maybe a safer business choice due to muliti vendor support and also engineer exposure to OSPF is far greater than EIGRP, meaning less training overhead and 'hit the ground running' support........I'd have said something like that.

There is no right or wrong answer to a subjective question like this and sometimes it might actually impress to give a sound argument supporting why you think they are wrong.
    miggs78 wrote: »
    Also if a DHCP server is located in another city than the client, how would the client get an ip add from the server, I'm thinking it's a DHCP Relay Agent, if that is right, how exactly does a relay agent works ?

The DHCP relay agent works by taking the DHCP request, which is a broadcast and therefore unable to traverse the routed interface, and convert it to a unicast destination (the DHCP server).

This is achieved by configuring the 'ip helper-address [DHCP Server address]' command under the interface that is the client's Default Gateway.

The default gateway will keep track of the subnet where the request originated so that it can forwared the responses on accordingly.

hope this helps.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    So you have an interview for a job and you're asking for the answers to help you pass it here? Sounds like you aren't qualified for that job.

Sorry to be blunt. Oh wait. No I'm not.

IMHO you're lucky you got one response.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    j-man wrote: »
    So you have an interview for a job and you're asking for the answers to help you pass it here? Sounds like you aren't qualified for that job.

Sorry to be blunt. Oh wait. No I'm not.

IMHO you're lucky you got one response.

As it's a 2nd interview i don't imagine he's expecting to get the same questions as the first one!!!!!
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    If you are asking for answers for an interview on a website, you've got bigger problems. Go google it FFS. This is at the same level of getting a homework assignment and asking people online for the correct answer so you can pass the class.

Meanwhile, you find out he got the job you were applying for when you know your stuff. What do you think then?

You're trying to help and I can appreciate that.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    If you are asking for answers for an interview on a website, you've got bigger problems. Go google it FFS. This is at the same level of getting a homework assignment and asking people online for the correct answer so you can pass the class.

Meanwhile, you find out he got the job you were applying for when you know your stuff. What do you think then?

That's a terrible analogy. I mean you're right there are plenty of discussions out their related to EIGRP vs OSPF if one just takes the time to google it. Then again that was his first post so maybe google brought him here. So, anyway he apparently did well enough in the 1st interview to get asked back for a second. As Chris_ pointed out the second interview is unlikely to be a repeat of the first. The better analogy would be: Someone has taken a test and passed it but would like to have done better and missed a couple questions and they are now looking for the correct answer to... Getting help with the questions after the fact isn't going to help with an already scored test or interview.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103

Those interview questions are still haunting him, and he wants better answers for the sake of his own knowledge. Did you consider that as a possible motivation behind this post before you started on a tirade verging on verbal abuse?

Go ahead and rep me down. You needed to hear that.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    OH, and to the second question after recently spending so many hours staring at the configuration of a Sonicwall on one side and a crappy dsl modem on the other trying to get the site to site vpn working I probably would have said DHCP over VPN without thinking about it at all.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting discussion.
    I too would like to hear the opinions on the OSPF vs EIGRP debate.
    I would think the only advantage that OSPF had over EIGRP was it being vendor neutral.

However when I look at job listings for Low-Latency network admins OSPF is featured.
    like this one
    Position Details

Granted they do also want you to have experience working with devices from other vendors, i get the feeling that i'm missing something else.

Anyway, this post would've been better placed in the IT Jobs forum, but still, interesting question...
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Those interview questions are still haunting him, and he wants better answers for the sake of his own knowledge. Did you consider that as a possible motivation behind this post before you started on a tirade verging on verbal abuse?

Go ahead and rep me down. You needed to hear that.
    Hi guys, I have a 2nd interview tomorrow, I've been there before.

There's couple questions they asked me,

I appreciate where you are coming from but given the above I read it as he has a second interview and those are the questions they (the interviewers) are expecting him to answer.

Where is the OP to state his case?

Verbal abuse? Please. No names were called, no CAPS involved. I praised Chris for answering the question.

I've learned my lesson.
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This forums is all about helping people out. Judging by your tone, you sound like a bitter IT guy (most of them are always bitter about something) because someone you believe was less qualified took your position before. Perhaps its not because they cheated, its because they had a better attitude. Just a friendly advice
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So , thought about it.
    First off, they probably did want something more than just an acknowledgment that OSPF is second best to EIGRP.
    Here are a few points, which i pulled right out of the textbook :P
    -OSPF is a link-state protocol and converges faster than distance-vector protocols
    -OSPF factors in bandwidth of the link when selecting the best route as opposed to just hop count
    -it supports route summarization
    -it also supports authentication
    -allows equal cost load balancing

of course you can lookup other advantages as well.
  • Options
    JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say that from a management perspective OSPF is 'better' than EIGRP because EIGRP is Cisco proprietary and OSPF, when compared to EIGRP offers more flexibility regarding cross platform compatibility.
    Lab on!