Question on installing ESXi Free on an HP DL-360

ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am just getting my feet wet here, so please bear with me.

I have an HP DL-360 G5 currently running Windows Server 2003 R2 x86. I have onboard Hardware RAID configured as 1 and 5. The OS is mirrored on drive C and the data drive D, is RAID 5.

I would like to unistall this completely, install ESXi free, then create a vm with Windows Server 2008R2. I have the ISO and license.

My questions are the following:

1. What is the best/easiest way to install ESXi free?

2. Do I need to mess with the current RAID configuration?

3. Can I use a usb flash drive with the ISO image on there to create the vm, or will I need to burn it to a DVD?

In other words can someone give me an idea of the most efficient and best practices method to accomplish the above?

I was originally going to just nuke the W2K3 install and install W2K8 on the hard drive but since I am studying VMware(along with other technology), I thought that this would be a great way to get more hands on experience, not to mention a more efficient system.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. this box is currently only running 2GB RAM but I think it will be okay with the relatively low impact that ESXi provides.

Thanks!
I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    1. The install of ESXi is very simple. Pop in the disk, and follow the 2-3 steps. It'll prompt you to choose which disk you want to install it on.
    2. If you'd like to use the RAID5 for a datastore for your 2008 VM - then no. RAID1 for OS and RAID5 for data is fine. Once install, configure things like: IP Address, Hostname, DNS Servers, etc.
    3.Using the VI Client you can install the OS to the VM a few ways:
        • Using the physical CD/DVD ROM drive of the host machine.
        • Pointing the VM CD-ROM to the ISO on your local hard disk.
        • You can upload the ISO to the datastore and point the VM CD-ROM to this location as well.

It's pretty straight forward and easy to use.
      1. ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
        Thanks! Yes, I know that the ESXi install is pretty easy but I was wondering more about the integration with RAID and whether or not I can create a W2K8 R2 vm using a usb drive as the source.

However, your suggestions are doable too, I guess.icon_wink.gif
        I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Careful though, the onboard raid might not be compatible with ESXi. Best checking the HCL before you splat the whole thing.
        My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
      3. StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
        The DL360 G5 had an option of P400i or E200i, neither are fake raid. Both are supported.
        Gomjaba wrote: »
        Careful though, the onboard raid might not be compatible with ESXi. Best checking the HCL before you splat the whole thing.
        MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
      4. cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
        I just deployed ESX on a DL360 G5 with the P410i controller and works beautiful. For enhanced storage health status you may need to install this: HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server series- * RECOMMENDED * HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 4.1 U1 - HP Business Support Center

In regards to uploading images, if you are planning connecting the server to the network you can also upload the iso to the datastore via WinSCP.
      5. tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
        I have always preferred to install ESXi to a flash memory source. In my lab I have a 2GB usb flash drive. In my servers at the old job we had internal SD card slots. We have that here too but I was over-ruled in using them.

I'm not sure if there's a performance difference but I like the idea of seperating the OS from the storage disks.
        I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
      6. ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
        Thanks everyone for the great advice! Yes, I am using the p400i controller if I recall, so that should be good to go.....

Going to give it a go over the weekend if I have the time....

cyberguypr wrote: »
        In regards to uploading images, if you are planning connecting the server to the network you can also upload the iso to the datastore via WinSCP.

Yes, it will be the Domain Controller.....Thanksicon_wink.gif

Hey sorry to res and old thread but this is the only place I have found information about this exact server. I am unable to install onto my RAID it does not detect any drives or anything when asking to slect an install location, I have used both the vanilla copy of ESXI 4 and the one from HP. Am I doing somthing wrong?>
      9. networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
        Znet wrote: »
        Hey sorry to res and old thread but this is the only place I have found information about this exact server. I am unable to install onto my RAID it does not detect any drives or anything when asking to slect an install location, I have used both the vanilla copy of ESXI 4 and the one from HP. Am I doing somthing wrong?>

Did you make sure that your RAID has logical drives defined? I think that's what it is called. Too lazy to go reboot my test server at work. I have both DL360 G3 and G5 with ESXi 3.5 and 5 installed and it works great. I use both of them for testing stuff. The G3 will probably be decommissioned pretty soon since it's only 32-bit.
      10. EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
        Did you check the RAID controller? ESXi only works on what is on their HCL. FYI Intel RST/Matrix Raid is not on the list.
        Current Certification Exam: ???
        Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
      11. networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
        EV42TMAN wrote: »
        Did you check the RAID controller? ESXi only works on what is on their HCL. FYI Intel RST/Matrix Raid is not on the list.

As far as I know, the DL360s and DL380s RAID controllers are compatible with ESXi. That's why I want one at home so I can use my current server as my main desktop.