shadow copies or backup util? Huh?

goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
""Which tool allows you to back up files that are in use?"" This is the question Im being asked by my test software. The correct answer is shadow copy.

The explinations states "The purpose of shadow copy feature is to allow the backup utility to back up files that are currently in use without preveneting other applications and processes from accessing those files. This feature is esp. usefull for backing up the OS and AD information.

My question is: 1) WHo uses shadow copy to back up there OS? 2) Doesnt the "system state' option in the REAL backup util technically 'back up system files that are currently in use'?

70-290 scheduled for this friday icon_eek.gif

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What test software is that mate? That explanation while mostly true, is not "the main purpose" of shadow copies.

Here are some

Recover files without assistance from the help desk.
    Recover files that were not saved using the “Saved as” command.

Recover files that were corrupted and not recovered with the file recovery capabilities of Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Office XP.

Shadow Copies of Shared Folders creates a safety net for end users by providing an easily and readily available previous version of a file. In this way, Shadow Copies of Shared Folders helps end users to:
    Manage their own files.
    Fix mistakes without rebuilding the file or calling the help desk.

I assume you mean volume shadow copies in Windows 2003 server right?
  • goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keatron wrote:
    What test software is that mate? That explanation while mostly true, is not "the main purpose" of shadow copies.

I am using the LearnKey software test engine that came with my MCSE/MCSA Book by Anil Desai.

Im pretty sure this is just one of those "if'y" questions I shouldnt worry about but it was just akward to see someone wanting to use volume shadow copies to back up an OS.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    keatron wrote:

Here are some

Recover files without assistance from the help desk.
    Recover files that were not saved using the “Saved as” command.

Recover files that were corrupted and not recovered with the file recovery capabilities of Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Office XP.

Shadow Copies of Shared Folders creates a safety net for end users by providing an easily and readily available previous version of a file. In this way, Shadow Copies of Shared Folders helps end users to:
    Manage their own files.
    Fix mistakes without rebuilding the file or calling the help desk.
    These describe the advantages of Shadow Copy Volumes but the Volume Shadow Copy is a technology used by the Windows Backup utility and is enabled by default. It's sole purpose is to allow backups of files that are in use.

You can disable the option in the Advanced Backup Options when you schedule a new job:
    xp_backupadvancedoptions.gif
    Although the following is written for the 220 exam/windows XP, it includes the same option:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/backup_restore_repair.shtml
  • RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    quick question, i've seen that shadow copies are available only if i install "ShadowCopyClient.msi" in the client computer, is there any waay to get this utility by default in the operating system when you install it? or should this utility be installed using a login script? i dont see this either in the windows update program so it has to be like manually installed if we want to use it i guess.

thanks! icon_wink.gif
    Formule One Racing Addict...
  • goasakawagoasakawa Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RamsesK wrote:
    quick question, i've seen that shadow copies are available only if i install "ShadowCopyClient.msi" in the client computer, is there any waay to get this utility by default in the operating system when you install it? or should this utility be installed using a login script? i dont see this either in the windows update program so it has to be like manually installed if we want to use it i guess.

thanks! icon_wink.gif

Im wondering kinda the same this as well. By default its not enables on the clients so most people use a the feature that slips my mind where its added to the "add/remove programs" to be installed whenever. is there a way to have twclient pre-installed other that a drive image?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    One way is to push the shadowcopy client by using group policy.
  • RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok i asked a very experienced friend yesterday about it and basically as Johan says, it has to be deployed by a group policy most of the time, i also found this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/600d3543-ad0f-4d23-9e84-c6e41c2953f6.mspx
    Formule One Racing Addict...