What should I use Syslogs or SNMP

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
Folks:

I am getting ready to build my first Syslog Linux server. I was playing with Kiwisoft's Syslog server, and I am hooked; however, I know about SNMP traps from my Cisco devices, but I am at a lost.

When would I use syslogs and when would I use SNMP traps? I noticed on my ASA 5500, I can enable output to a Syslog server, but I can also use SNMP traps for items.

Any real would suggestions or points would be great...

Thanks so much,
Cheers mates!!!
Utini!

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Syslog is a dumping ground for log files. Read-only SNMP allows you to pull logs, system information, etc. Read-Write SNMP allows you to pull logs, system information, etc. and write back to the device. SNMP can be a security risk so make sure you use something other than the default private and public community strings and version 3 if your device supports it.
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Syslog is a dumping ground for log files. Read-only SNMP allows you to pull logs, system information, etc. Read-Write SNMP allows you to pull logs, system information, etc. and write back to the device. SNMP can be a security risk so make sure you use something other than the default private and public community strings and version 3 if your device supports it.

Thanks so much.
    Utini!