Unattend.xml vs. Autounattend.xml

gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to say that it's good to be back to Techexams after being gone for like a year or so. I am currently studying for (what I hear is) the beast 70-680 exam.

After looking at various resources, I'm just not able to determine the differences between the unattend.xml and autounattend.xml files. I've seen a couple of explanations but for some reason, I'm just not understanding.

If someone could break this down in layman terms, it would be appreciated :)

P.S. I understand (for the most part) how unattended installations work in general from studying the 70-270, but just don't know how these two files work.
The biggest risk in life is not taking one.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome back! Your the one that shared an account with your brother, if my memory serves me right?!?!

Anyways, the unattend.xml answer file is what's used for usual unattended installations, and the autounattend.xml is for DVD-boot installation method with the answer file specified in a removable USB stick.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • TechZillaTechZilla Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe you also have to use the autounattend if you are repartitioning.
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Essendon wrote: »
    Welcome back! Your the one that shared an account with your brother, if my memory serves me right?!?!

Anyways, the unattend.xml answer file is what's used for usual unattended installations, and the autounattend.xml is for DVD-boot installation method with the answer file specified in a removable USB stick.

Wow, good memory. You are correct. I'm surprised you remembered that. Nice!

Thanks for the information. If I have this right, it kind of reminds me of changing the unattended installation file in XP to winnt.sif (I think that's the name), for the XP CD to recognize the installation file on a floppy disk.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The first thing I thought of when I saw this post:

Unattended, A Windows deployment system: Welcome
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)