How old is your oldest PC?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I thought I would post a poll out of curiosity. My oldest PC that I currently have is a no-name OEM that's now 7 years old or so. It started acting like it was about to kick the bucket last year but it has magically come back to life since then. The specs:

P4 Northwood @2.6 Ghz
1.75 GB of RAM (originally had 256 MB)
NVIDIA Geforce fx 5200
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While I don't use it much I have a 386SX that I play with now and then.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    11 years I think. It has a 450mhz amd processor in it with 196mb of ram. It's sitting in the basement, not doing anything. I might use it for something later on, when I move out.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apple ][gs, I have no idea when I acquired it. I also have a 486DX2 in the same closet.

Out of the boxes that are actually in use, the oldest would be my desktop, a Core2Duo that I put together in early 2006.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not in use, but fully functional:

Toshiba laptop
    Purchased in 1996
    Pentium 100MHz
    40Mb RAM
    Windows NT4 (originally came with Win95)
    SQL Server 6.5

It was the first computer I had full ownership of, my father bought it when I was 12. I spent the next few years coding and surfing the net...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your scale should go out further. I'm only 22 and I have a Windows 95 machine that is something like 15 years old. I haven't turned it on in probably 5 years, but I'm sure it still works. All 16 MB ram and Pentium 1 133 Mhz of it!

Oh, can't forget the 2.5GB HDD!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have room for junk PCs to lay about so I keep my 3 machines as up to date as possible, so they are no more than a year and a half old. When they get old (another year or so) I may give then to a friend or bring them in to work as lab PCs.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got a 333mhz Gateway with a regular old pentium chip. It's still chugging along but everytime I see someone turn it on, I'm scared it'll explode icon_lol.gif.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I don't have room for junk PCs to lay about so I keep my 3 machines as up to date as possible, so they are no more than a year and a half old. When they get old (another year or so) I may give then to a friend or bring them in to work as lab PCs.

Garage rafters support that.
    Original IMSI 8080 & ASR Model 33 teletype with paper tape reader punch
    Osborne Exec signed by Adam
    Original Compaq luggable with blood stains
    Original IBM luggable ditto on the blood stains
    Original IBM AT (fond memories of two to three day non stop C coding sessions)
    All of these were functional as of a year ago.

Oldest thing in the house in the spare bedroom/converted lab are probably my three Rackable rack mount servers each with twin dual core Opteron 2216 CPU's, 8 Gig of ECC memory and dual SAS drives. My desktops stay fairly current. Laptop is a laptop, I swap it when it doesn't meet my travel needs.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I used to have some really old stuff, but not anymore. Got tired of all the space it was taking up, so refreshed my current hardware, and had a recycler come pick up my entire stash of old gear.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Cleaned out the garage a couple of years ago. Dumped an IBM PCjr off at one of those electronic (green waste) recycling things. Now the oldest we have in the house is an 8 year old laptop my son uses.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    tandy ... thats all im gonna say ... tandy
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have an IBM T23 laptop and an A22m which are probably 8-9 years old. They POST.

PC I'm typing from I bought the year Vista came out, although the HDD, vid card and RAM has been upgraded since.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My oldest is a 5 year old laptop icon_redface.gif The display is kind of jacked on it but it runs Ubuntu and gets to the interwebs so I can read through lab material while I'm on my desktop. Maybe I should just look into a 2nd monitor.. Nah, this setup looks cooler.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My oldest is the Thinkpad X31. I bought it two years ago for $300 on Ebay. Currently, it has a lot of problems by turning on.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    What is a computer? icon_profileleft.gificon_confused.gif:
  • EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got a Commodore 64 I inherited from my Dad - it's older than I am. Still works. I also have a machine with Windows 1.0 on it. Not sure on specs. It still works too.

My parents probably have enough computers in their basement to open up an "Evolution of the PC" museum.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    What is a computer? icon_profileleft.gificon_confused.gif:

one that computes :to determine especially by mathematical means. Prior to sometime in the 1940's someone using a comptometer as in the room full of ladies in that xmas classic "it's a wonderful life". They all lost their jobs to those new fangled machine thingies and maybe people ringing bells or some such.

Yea that's the ticket.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still am holding on to multiple P2 CPUs and motherboards.

I wanted to craigslist them a while ago, but the care just isn't there. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My wife's laptop is the oldest computer that I own. It is a Dell XPS m1330 with 8gb of memory, 150gb solid-state drive, and dual core processors. I gave it to her because I wanted a larger display and bought a Studio XPS 16 with similar specs. I haven't owned a desktop in almost six years and laptops generally have a shorter half-life. When I get a new laptop for myself I give my wife my old system. She usually has hardware twice as fast as the next person so she doesn't complain about getting the hand-me-downs.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/