Options

VTP over WAN links?

mikejensen83mikejensen83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I passed my ICND exam about a year ago and am now studying for my ICND2. I currently work as a desktop support technician and am looking to move into the network infrastructure side of things.
I built a little lab in my house with three switches and two routers. I was experimenting with VTP and it appears to me that VTP only stays on one LAN and vlan database info is not passed over a WAN link to another LAN.
I may be going beyond the scope of the CCNA here but I am curious to know how large companies have the "same vlan's" at multiple physical locations? Do they have to configure the VLAN's at every remote site on those switches?
Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    PPTP would be a way to use the same VLANs in two different locations. But you are correct, that is outside the scope of CCNA.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum. I passed my ICND exam about a year ago and am now studying for my ICND2. I currently work as a desktop support technician and am looking to move into the network infrastructure side of things.
    I built a little lab in my house with three switches and two routers. I was experimenting with VTP and it appears to me that VTP only stays on one LAN and vlan database info is not passed over a WAN link to another LAN.
    I may be going beyond the scope of the CCNA here but I am curious to know how large companies have the "same vlan's" at multiple physical locations? Do they have to configure the VLAN's at every remote site on those switches?
    Thanks,
    Mike

This post appears to be about the same type of question.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38255-vlan-over-wan-question.html
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)