Options

Guess who passed 70-293?

NOT ME! LOL!

I gave it attempt #4 today, and came up just short. I figured I was just one or two questions away from a pass. I really think I talked myself out of a couple of right answers.

I'm not as frustrated this time, because after some abysmal failures, I'm jusg glad to see progress. I maxed out nearly every bar on the score report, but I really laid an egg on planning routing and remote access, which is something I've gone pretty well on my last 2 attempts.

Anyway, I've decided I'm giving it one more shot next week. I truly felt like I was in command of the test today, and with a good week of focusing on RRAS - I can nail it. If I can't pass after 5 attempts, well, I don't think even I want/deserve to be an MCSE.

If I can give any of you one piece of advice - get as many certs nailed out as you can before you have kids, because your study time will go down the drain real quickly afterwards. I used to have hours upon hours, and entire weekends to study for certs. Now on a good day, I can hammer out maybe an hour if I'm lucky. Add to that the fact that I don't see much down time at my new job, and for the first time in my life I'm struggling to pass a cert test because there just aren't enough hours in the day to study properly.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Oh yeah, you know what else? In 4 attempts, I think I have yet to see even one question on proper server clustering, other than what edition of Windows do you need to be running in order to use it.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Damn man that really sucks. Dont have much advice to offer, but if you dont pass it the 5th time (I really hope you do!!), just ditch the MCSE and embark upon the MCITP:EA/SA (that's if you want to pursue any further MS certs!). Easier exams in comparison.

If it makes you feel any better, I passed the 70-647 on my 4th attempt. That sucker is a tough one to get past too. Hey also, when you attempt it the 5th time, get a second shot voucher and that'll give you a 6th shot (again I hope you dont need it).

Wish you all the luck you need, we know you know your stuff. You just keep getting the wrong pool of questions!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear that, but I have to give you points for the title. I'll be honest, you got a bit of a giggle out of me.

I really don't know what advice can be given. There isn't really a secret to passing this exam. You just gotta know your stuff and be able to weed through the muck that Microsoft throws at you to trip you up in the question and figure out what they are asking. There are lots of topics covered that are very complex. Do you have a labbing enviornment set up? What soruces are you using? Maybe it is time to add something new to the mix, something with a different angle. Videos maybe?

The importance of that 6th try that Essendon mentions is because Microsoft will only let you fail an exam 6 times in a year. After that you could move on to the 294 in attempt to finish your MCSE, but what happens if the 293 is retired before you are elligible to take a crack at it? With only 2 attempts (possible ever) left, you should really take a step back and re-evaluate your learning process. For example, if it were my I wouldn't be booking it next week. I'd take as much time as I needed to be positive that I was ready to go. Lab it up, add in some new sources (CBT Nuggets with James Conrad were good for this), and ask questions about anything that isn't clicking. I'm not sure what that means for length, couple weeks? month? However long it takes to bring home the pass.

Good Luck

PS, I'll keep in mind the kid thing!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Honestly, another source isn't going to help me at this point. RRAS is my weak area, plain and simple, and I had a ton of questions about it this last attempt.

My problem with this test has been I was arrogant about it. I took it the first time when I really wasn't prepared properly, but figured I knew enough to get through it, and I choked. The second time, I thought I was better prepared, but I still had some weak areas. The third time, my studies got derailed by parenthood, and though I brushed up the areas I was weak in, I forgot to keep up with the parts I was previously doing well in.

I've used a ton of different sources, including CBTs, Lab Sim, MS Press book, Syngress book, so nothing new is going to help. Again, it's all RRAS that kills me. I guess I can't wrap my head around the whole dial-up part (which is hard to lab correctly) and why anyone would use a Windows server for routing anyway. But it's not about what I deem relevant, it's about what MS wants people to know, so yeah.

I'm not interested in a second shot this time. 5 is my personal limit. I'm taking it again Tuesday. Pass or fail, I'm done with 70-293. I've wasted a half a year of my life on it, off and on, and I've got too much on my plate to keep at it. Honestly, a part of me kind of hopes I do fail, so I can say "ah shucks, no point in bothering with the other MCSE tests now". Which probably means I'll score a 900+ this time around.
  • Options
    johnblack123johnblack123 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going for my exam on Thursday and I will pass only because I have a lab at home using 1 physical computer with 3 virtual ones. BTW, 'm using Virtualbox with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition VHD (a 30-day trial).

Download details: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition VHD

You spent a half year on 70-293. That's nothing compared to my mess: I was at a technical school for over a year studying Microsoft courses and a cisco and linux course but spent $14000 and only passed 3 MS exams and A+ once school was finished. I'm guessing you only spent $500 so don't worry about losing money or the frustration of being so close to passing.

As the other poster said view the concepts of rras from a different angle. I saw some videos on youtube that are totally awesome!

YouTube - ‪70 293 rt firew‬‏

Check out all the 70-293 videos from that user!

Take care sir!
  • Options
    To whoever dinged my rep for my "attitude" - You're not in my shoes, you don't know what it's like. You don't have any idea the frustration I have being stuck on the same exam for the better part of a year after being able to blaze through them. You don't know what it's like to waste MONTHS of your life labbing the hell out of clustering because everyone tells you it's a huge part of the exam, and to see a total of maybe 5 questions on it in 4 attempts.

You don't know what it's like to sleep on a couch in a hospital room for 2 weeks while your wife is on bed rest so she can give birth two a child that's 6 weeks early, then spend begin and end every day for the next 2 and half weeks going by the NICU to visit her, then go home so can hear your wife cry herself to sleep because her baby is sleeping in hospital a half hour away.

You don't know what it's like to finally get to bring home a child that's still very underweight, and needs to be woken up every 3 hours to feed, which obviously means YOU'RE getting up every 3 hours as well.

You don't know what it's like to deal with all of that, a 12 hour day from when you leave the house till you get home, and trying to work on your college degree.

Most people would've given up by this point. I probably should have. Sometime I wish I did, and to be honest, the thought is still crossing my mind. I've got an awesome job, and tons of certs - I don't need MCSE at this point, especially now that my boss is pushing me to skip it and move over to MCITP. The only reason I'm still even bothering is personal pride, and even that's dwindling. There's plenty of better ways I could be spending my time.

So, thank you for that. I'm not going to bother with taking this test on Tuesday. I'm going to enjoy some time with my daughter instead since I have the day off.
  • Options
    johnblack123johnblack123 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Sir,

I was not aware of life situation and so I apologize. First off, congratulations on your baby girl and may God and humanity guide and bless you and your family.

I sincerely apologize for my post which was only meant to motivate and help you and possibly other readers. I wrote my first post here at techexams because I had an overwhelming need to try and help someone who I felt should suffer no more (with 70-293).

I just looked at your credentials and my goodness you already are a success story. CCNA is most everyone's ***** but you got that. Congrats!

But as you said none of these certs and diplomas matter. I agree 100% with you that family comes first.

Anyway, take care sir and if I take the exam next week, pass or fail, I will let you know what specific questions they asked me and not just give a broad overview.
  • Options
    No need to apologize - this was the first weekend in 6 months I haven't had to try to cram studying for a cert into everything else. It felt great. I never thought I'd feel good about giving up on something, but I really feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me. Why keep stressing over a cert that is becoming rapidly outdated? We're doing way more 2008 deployments at work at this point.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude! With everything that you have going on right now; I'm in awe that you even took the test.

F everything "extra" right now. You have more important real life things going on to worry about some test that's 9 years old........

It'll be there for you when things calm down!

PS

Congrats on the little one, I'm sure that it's a blessing to finally have her there with you.