Passed!

apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
Well after a long hiatus, I decided to sit the 70-680 for a fourth time. I'm happy to report I passed with 945! This fourth attempt had more questions than my previous attempts, which probably improved my chances of scoring higher. Plus, there was a nice surprise for the last 10 or so questions -- let's just say it was a nice break from the multiple choice format.

If anyone is looking for their first Microsoft certification -- consider another exam! This one is extremely broad and from what I've read, the objectives overlap with other exams that are geared towards specific technologies. It seems like more people recommend to take the server exams first and leave this one for last. But if you're stubborn like me, here's what I used to prepare:

Books
MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring [Hardcover]
Don Poulton

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7
Ian McLean

Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-685 and 70-686)
Darril Gibson

Windows 7 Technical Library Roadmap

Practice Exams
MeasureUp
SelfTestSoftware

Secondary Resources
MCTS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Complete Study Guide (Exams 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643)
William Panek
Usus magister est optimus

Comments

• FrankThFrankTh Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations apena7.
    Perseverance always comes with a reward.
    Planning to go for another one soon or plain rest?

The 70-680 is very special.
    Good success in your future certifications.

FrankTh
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job, I've heard that the 680 is the Beast reincarnated.

What's next on your road map?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing, way to keep at it.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Another example of perseverance paying off. What's next for ya, one of the server exams I guess?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Thanks everyone!

As much as I would like to leave the Windows 7 world for a while, I'll stick around and try my hand at the 70-685.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome job. Super tough test from what I hear!
  • Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    apena7 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

As much as I would like to leave the Windows 7 world for a while, I'll stick around and try my hand at the 70-685.

I did the 685 after the 680. Seemed easy in comparison. However, the 686 is very difficult if you are thinking about that on your cert path. Honestly, IMO, having completed the 640 and 642 helps make the 686 easier. At a minimum, read thru those books first.

Good luck!
  • NeoartNeoart Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

I reside in london and wanted to go for an online service transition course. Can you recommend any good institute that provides online course and also an online course and Service transition OGC book will help me pass the exam. Please advise
  • NeoartNeoart Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi N2IT,

I reside in london and wanted to go for an online service transition course. Can you recommend any good institute that provides online course and also an online course and Service transition OGC book will help me pass the exam. Please advise