Newbie to software development

modatechnomodatechno Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will be finishing my masters in applied and computational mathematics in a year or so and am considering entering into software development. I am new to this field, and have no idea how to prepare for a career in this profession. I would like to know what skills I should have (programming skills) in order to get a job as a software developer or software engineer? I know C++ and am learning Java on my own. When ever I look at job listings, I see a long list of desired skills that employers are looking for (this is for the entry level positions), is it possible to have all these skills upon graduation? Should I obtain certifications, if so, what type of certifications should I seek? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I am really confused as to how I should begin this process. Thank you so much, any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    There are few relative certifications for software engineering. If you want to do that kind of work then you should've gotten a B.S. or an M.S. in Computer Science. That curriculum is well suited to prepare you for a job in that field. A dergree in Mathematics prepare you for doing math at a very high level.

Do you have any experience with data structures? How are your C++ skills? Can you learn languages easily?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • modatechnomodatechno Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Our particular curriculum is a combination of math and computer science classes. I am taking Data Structures next semester, and have received an A in all my programming courses. I read somewhere that the Java Associate would be a good initial certification to seek. I do learn languages easily. I was thinking about enrolling in the software engineering certificate program at University of Maryland after my masters in complete. This way, I will receive the appropriate training to prepare me for this field.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    To be honest with, the software engineers I know don't have any certifications. Their resumes usually say enough.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    There are few relative certifications for software engineering. If you want to do that kind of work then you should've gotten a B.S. or an M.S. in Computer Science. That curriculum is well suited to prepare you for a job in that field. A dergree in Mathematics prepare you for doing math at a very high level.

Do you have any experience with data structures? How are your C++ skills? Can you learn languages easily?

I agree with phantasm, attaing a degree in Computer Science would have been a better route since the curriculum is structured to prepare you for roles as Software Engineers, Developers, etc. Although, sometimes a degree does not substitute for relative experience because most classes are theory based and not real world situations. If you have both, you are a force to be reckoned with
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »

To be honest with, the software engineers I know don't have any certifications.

What about MCPD (Microsoft Certified Professional Developer)?

Specifically, Windows Developer 4, Web Developer 4, or Windows Azure Developer (Cloud).