Options

Roque AP - how many?

semangkasemangka Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
While study for CCNA Wireless im doing a small WLC deployment with 6 APs on 802.11g

Im seeing around 40 roque APs icon_rolleyes.gif

Is that a normal value that you can expect in office building?

To combact interference, ive set DCA 10 min (all channels ) and enabled TPC.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It depends, really. If it's a shared building, every other company with an office there is going to have their own wireless connections, as are adjacent businesses, like coffee shops and other stores. Now, if your company is the only one in the building and you're in a relatively remote area, seeing 40 other wireless access points might be a cause for concern.

Out of curiosity, how exactly are you detecting these other APs? If you're just seeing 40 other connections when you connect with a client computer, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it already sounds like you're well on your way to securing your company's wireless access.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    40 other AP's could be a bit much, for RF's sake. 2.4 GHz only has 3 non-overlapping. Depending on the transmit power of the neighboring AP's they could cause issues.

Setting the DCA and TPC are your best way for avoiding this. May want to consider some 802.11a/5 GHz Wi-Fi
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Technically those are not rogue APs as they are not wired into your network.
  • Options
    semangkasemangka Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yup, shared building with about 10 floor in centre of town ;)

I noticed some other company within building is using WLC/AP too with about 10 APs and all neatly set to channel 1, 6, 11.

So i figured, rarther than using those interfered channels let RRM DCA/TPC do the job (all channels 1-11 selected) every 10min or so.

Currently im seeing channels 4, 1, 9, 4, 13 (our AP on different floors too) with oner poweroutput set to 2.

Within each AP you can define antenna gain too, will that make big difference in RRM?

5Ghz we intend to use for VoIP deployment ;)