Outrageous Job Requirements!?

size15shoesize15shoe Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

We all have had our share of outrageous job requirements that we've seen. I saw this one and I had to post if for you guys to check out. It is for a Govt. contractor, but I still think this is a little too lofty for the position type.

Check it out: (Ive omitted the name of the company/location and trimmed the unnecessary fat and made it a little easier to read, as it was one big paragraph)

Tier II Helpdesk Network Technician:

Position DOES NOT deploy. Monitors and responds to hardware and software problems utilizing a variety of hardware and software testing tools and techniques. Installs and configures network hardware and software. Provides network troubleshooting and support. Provides technical support and training to end-users.

Administers network security. Backs up file server datadisks. Provides complex server maintenance. Sets up new users and deletes old users from the network. May provide guidance and work leadership to less-experienced technicians, and may have limited supervisory responsibilities. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.

Create and Resolve network tickets using Remedy desktop. Manage Active Directory user accounts, computer accounts, security groups, distribution groups, Exchange 2003 Mail Accounts, and UNIX NIS accounts on all networks. Provides phone and help-desk support for local and off-site users. Requires Knowledge of several levels of Windows Servers, Exchange Servers, Windows XP, and Unix on multiple networks.

Assist new users in completing the network IT security paperwork. Assist users in any basic to intermediate network system problemsissues. Backup and restore shares, folders, files and software. Configure and maintain files shares and network foldersprint servers and printers. Coordinate with other agency sites to troubleshoot systematic problems and provided resolution to hardware or software issues on both remote and local global systems. Image laptops as needed.

Install and maintain antivirus and IAVA compliance on various mixed media systems. Installs, configures, and upgrades software for Windows, UNIX, and Linux workstations and servers on multiple networks.

Requirements: Associates Degree in a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience. 5-8 years of directly related experience supporting network operations. ITIL Foundations Certification REQUIRED Security+ Certification REQUIRED TS/SCI REQUIRED

Now, I get that its a govt job, but all of what they are asking for sounds comparable to a SYSADMIN/NETADMIN.

A penny for you guys' thoughts?

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Uh, no, it sounds like exactly what it says, "Tier 2 Help Desk", which is NOC or NOSC level, and not an entry level job. Probably pays in the $50k-$60k range, maybe more, depending on location.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The duties do not seem outrageous to me. As Everyone mentioned, as long as salary goes along with the required skill set, it's a fair deal. Keep in mind that titles mean nothing. Some places refer to help desk tier I or II as Network Administrator. Others may have real network admins with "IT Support Technician" title.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They also like to weed people out. If you don't meet the qualifications but know you can do the job you will probably still apply. Someone who doesn't meet them and isn't confident will move on.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Others may have real network admins with "IT Support Technician" title.
    I once had that title and was in charge of 14 small sites accross the state. Everthing from Unix systems to Cisco and VoIP.
  • EuclidJonesEuclidJones Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recall seeing a job posting for Tier 1 Help Desk that listed 15 or so certs and a bachelor's in computer science as requirements.

I wonder if they ever found the right candidate.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think the job requirements are that far off a Tier II Helpdesk/ NOC Tech job. With that being said, what is the salary range for this job? If it is 30,000 a year, then yes it is a bit outrageous.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on pay. Job titles are overrated.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488

Unless it starts with Chief and ends with Officer. :D
  • size15shoesize15shoe Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The pay wasnt specified in the job posting, but in my area, salaries arent all that great. However, it is for a Govt. contractor, so it may be higher because of that..

I guess i was wrong as far as being somewhat lofty lol.. No harm no foul on my part. I guess looking at those qualifications, it seemed like more of a Netadmin gig to me..
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

This. Since there is no standards body to govern job titles (which I think there should be by the way) HR/IT managers pretty much make up whatever they want.

I think this job is spot on however. I'd really like to know what the percentage breakdown of each job duty are.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, that doesn't seem too bad actually. Sounds like positions within my company, indeed might even be only a couple levels above my job.

For similar jobs that require TS clearances (within my current employer), pay is around $80K.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    looks fine to me. Outrageous is a Tier 1 position looking for 5-10 years of experience, MCSE, CCNA and $12/hr...
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Once I've seen a large ISP advertising the position of a "junior sysadmin". It required 10 yrs of experience with HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris. Made me wanna meet their senior sysadmins...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    pham0329 wrote: »
    looks fine to me. Outrageous is a Tier 1 position looking for 5-10 years of experience, MCSE, CCNA and $12/hr...

Yeah I agree those are the ones I lol at icon_lol.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The job is mainly working with what is there, backing up, updating, accounts, troubleshooting. A sys/net admin would have more responsibilities relating to upgrading, designing, integrating, installing and migrating systems and would certainly have a say in technical direction. As you can see, the job as described requires someone with a wide range of exposure to systems and 5 - 8 years experience. There are many such people out there who need a job.
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This , on the other hand is wholly ridiculous, keep in mind that you'll be earning $20/hr as a contractor (see the very bottom of the page), minimal benefits, if any.
    Keep in mind that in NYC your earnings are taxed 3x, Federal, State and City.
    As a rule of thumb, I'd say you'll only take home 2/3 of your listed compensation (if your in the sub $100k tax bracket).
    Would any of you even consider this after earning a degree, 5 yrs experience+certs?

Clearly this is intended as a joke

Network Engineer - 4+ month contract

QUALIFICATIONS:
    • Minimum 5 years of relevant networking experience
    • Four year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience required
    • Cisco CCNA/CCDP, CCNP Certification or equivalent experience required
    • Juniper JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SEC Certification or equivalent experience required
    • Mastery of the following technologies: Cisco routing and multi-layer switching, Cisco VoIP, Cisco Wireless, Juniper ScreenOS, JUNOS, SSL VPN and Network Security Manager.
    • Ability to build effective working relationships at all levels within the organization through cooperation, organization and communication
    • Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
    • Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving abilities
    • Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, assertive, and results-driven
    • Comprehensive networking knowledge with experience in recommending, installing, and managing all aspects of TCP/IP networking in a mixed Windows, Macintosh, and Linux environment
    • Proven expertise in building relationships and maintaining confidentiality with regard to professional relationships
    • Works well as part of a team and interacts well with individuals at all levels of the organization
    • Demonstrates ability to prioritize conflicting demands with strong attention to detail and ability to multitask
    • Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment to team and company
    • Conducts business with respect for others at all levels of the organization
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's probably just a wish list. But that role as a Help Desk II is in line with what a NOC would be in some organizations.
  • sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
    pham0329 wrote: »

Seen this... along with "a 4 year degree in electrical engineering or related field"
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Government Job Requirements are almost always a wish list.

I can tell you just reading that description they are looking for a prior military who worked in a server or network shop. The tech the person would have been exposed to would allow them to say they have some experience with those requirements.

You see these type of job postings all the time on Corporate Gray. As Turgon stated there are plenty of people out there who need a job even those with a clearance.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I work in state govt and I can tell you...our postings are always exaggerated to death and back. When I took this over waiting on a federal military job, I found out from a buddy those were exaggerated as well.

I firmly believe the person(s) who write our govt laws and post govt job descriptions are all the same. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    sentimetal wrote: »
    Seen this... along with "a 4 year degree in electrical engineering or related field"

Sometimes the people who put the job requirements together don't really know what they're doing and are just copy/pasting off of some other job advertisement they saw on Monster. It's a sign of an incompetent HR dept. They really should ask their current employees at that level what skills they think are needed in a new hire.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    This , on the other hand is wholly ridiculous, keep in mind that you'll be earning $20/hr as a contractor (see the very bottom of the page), minimal benefits, if any.
    Keep in mind that in NYC your earnings are taxed 3x, Federal, State and City.
    As a rule of thumb, I'd say you'll only take home 2/3 of your listed compensation (if your in the sub $100k tax bracket).
    Would any of you even consider this after earning a degree, 5 yrs experience+certs?

Clearly this is intended as a joke

Network Engineer - 4+ month contract

QUALIFICATIONS:
    • Minimum 5 years of relevant networking experience
    • Four year degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience required
    • Cisco CCNA/CCDP, CCNP Certification or equivalent experience required
    • Juniper JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SEC Certification or equivalent experience required
    • Mastery of the following technologies: Cisco routing and multi-layer switching, Cisco VoIP, Cisco Wireless, Juniper ScreenOS, JUNOS, SSL VPN and Network Security Manager.
    • Ability to build effective working relationships at all levels within the organization through cooperation, organization and communication
    • Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
    • Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving abilities
    • Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, assertive, and results-driven
    • Comprehensive networking knowledge with experience in recommending, installing, and managing all aspects of TCP/IP networking in a mixed Windows, Macintosh, and Linux environment
    • Proven expertise in building relationships and maintaining confidentiality with regard to professional relationships
    • Works well as part of a team and interacts well with individuals at all levels of the organization
    • Demonstrates ability to prioritize conflicting demands with strong attention to detail and ability to multitask
    • Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment to team and company
    • Conducts business with respect for others at all levels of the organization
    Pay could've been a typo. I'd at least apply since the skillset they are asking for is likely more than a $20/hr job, especially in NYC.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I suppose it depends on your background.

It is certainly less diverse than what I was previously doing being based out of a help desk and I was making about ~47k and then only recently was bumped to ~$59k before I left.

Sounds like they want a system admin working at their help desk. Lots of orgs do that now.
    -Daniel
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Sounds like they want a system admin working at their help desk. Lots of orgs do that now.

LOL. Yeah. I think it's a bit ridiculous.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

+1

This is exactly right. The company I work for doesn't have Manager or Director titles. You have your C level employees and then it's lead this lead that. I am a lead which on the outside sounds like I deal with scheduling and maybe problem resolution for the junior techs. How wrong that assumption is. I am expected to track utilization, cost, revenue. With the assistance of my engagement lead I assist with budgeting, forecasting, and planning. We update the service design package, including but not exclusive to SOW, SLA document, procedure handbook, etc.

Titles really don't mean that much. Year 7 in IT and I am starting to realize that. :)
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    It's pretty amazing how job requirements are now a days even for a help desk technician. I am glad I am getting a Bachelors in I.T. and Administrative management because most jobs in the Washington State area are now requiring a bachelors degree even for entry level. It's insane. I am not surprised though because at least half of the people in our state earned their bachelors degree or are in the process of earning their bachelors degree.
    Armymanis wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing how job requirements are now a days even for a help desk technician. I am glad I am getting a Bachelors in I.T. and Administrative management because most jobs in the Washington State area are now requiring a bachelors degree even for entry level. It's insane. I am not surprised though because at least half of the people in our state earned their bachelors degree or are in the process of earning their bachelors degree.

With all the methods available to get degrees these days, it's hardly surprising so see employers asking for them. It's possible for people to use certifications to obtain credits, study online and get a bit of paper that says you have a degree inside one year. Everyone is getting one.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Turgon wrote: »
    With all the methods available to get degrees these days, it's hardly surprising so see employers asking for them. It's possible for people to use certifications to obtain credits, study online and get a bit of paper that says you have a degree inside one year. Everyone is getting one.

No I'm not. icon_lol.gif
    Everyone wrote: »
    No I'm not. icon_lol.gif

You may need one before too long.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Armymanis wrote: »

The college requirement is more of a reflection of the droves of terrible IT people that are out there who give the good ones a bad name. This is the same for the laundry list of tasks you should be able to complete. A good employer knows if they find a bright candidate that can reasonably fit 60% of the criteria they put out they have a winner. It isn't the best way of weeding candidates but IT is so foreign to a lot of managers that they need some method parsing through all of us.