Options

Passed!!...now what?

secplususersecplususer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed SYS-201 with an 861! This site and all the contributors def helped! Main study materials were the Sybex cert kit and Exam Cram. I admit though I spent a lot of time with Google and lots of different sites to get a good understanding of some of the tougher concepts... I'm not sure what to go onto now. For this year I'd like to get another fundamental and industry 'recognized' security cert...anyone sit for the GSEC without doing the official training (too expensive)? I don't have the pro experience for my SSCP or CISSP yet (still got a year for SSCP, 4 for CISSP). I thought about the Network+ ...how much additional content/studying would be required to do well with that one? Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats on pass. I would work on the Network+. Having a firm grasp on networking only aids in the security field. It'll be a bit easier to go back to N+ after passing the security+ in my opinion, since your already opened up to details on ports, OSI, etc.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! And the answer to "now what?" is... BEER!
  • Options
    secplususersecplususer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

I like your style!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

I'll second that.

Congrats
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    louisevlouisev Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good deal SPU! In my line of work - which is infrastructure systems applications, the rage for certification is ITIL 3 (IT infrastructure library.) It specifies best practice for development, support, and service of infrastructure. If you look at your target job market on Dice, for example, look for what certifications are 'required' and which are 'desirable.' ITIL 3 is often required, at least in my business. I don't know about network engineers.
  • Options
    PanderPander Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cyber and Scythe said it well. Beer and Network+ is a pretty good idea.
    Like Scythe said, firm networking knowledge does help in security and you could always use Net+ as a stepping stone to other things networking, or other things security.
  • Options
    soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer:
    Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!