passed CCIE Written

yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
Just got back from the testing center.

I studied about 2 months, hard core. Every free moment I spent reading. Weekdays: 1 our each way on the subway (to/from work), and 2-4 hours after work. Weekends: 8 hours Sat and 8 hours Sun.

Before taking the test I felt like I knew all of the technologies very well. I focused mostly on Advanced BGP, Advanced Multicast, QoS, OSPF, and EIGRP. Of course I also covered the other technologies on the blueprint. A lot of the studying was refresher from the CCNP, and diving deeper into technology.

The test itself was extremely disappointing. The questions were more ambiguous than ever, and did not test you on advanced concepts, or your understanding of how the technologies really work. The 4x CCNP tests that I've taken were A) Overall more difficult. B) Focused on the technologies. Not bizarre/ambiguous gotchas.

Some of the diagrams I had were completely ineligible!! As in, you couldn't actually see the diagram or the command output because the resolution was totally jacked. Now ambiguous questions I can deal with, but diagrams that I cannot read because they've been shrinked 10x and have some totally messed up resolution is not acceptable.

study materials:

CCIE R&S certification Guide
Bits and pieces of Routing TCP/IP Vol I & II
Bits and pieces of my old CCNP books
A whole lot of RFCs
Other peoples blog posts on various protocols & technologies
Dynamips & some real gear

I'm looking forward to the lab!

Comments

• bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    WOW. Big time congratulations on that one!
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats on the pass!

While the written exam may have been disappointing, keep up that level of effort. As many TE members have found, the lab exam is grueling to say the least.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ditto on that and congrats too!:) icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Well done! Congrats on the pass!

I totally agree on the exam. It's the worst I've taken. In some areas it felt outdated, some questions had no correct answers and the diagrams the worst I've ever seen in a professional environment. It's a joke that Cisco can't produce a better exam for the money we pay. You need it to go to the lab though so not much we can do about it. Now go on labbing! :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Good Luck with your Lab Prep icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Well done bro... specially considering the quality of the exam.

Lab it up!
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Well done man.

I've heard some bad things about the written alright. People saying the CCNA was harder etc.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yuriz43 wrote: »
    Just got back from the testing center.

I studied about 2 months, hard core. Every free moment I spent reading. Weekdays: 1 our each way on the subway (to/from work), and 2-4 hours after work. Weekends: 8 hours Sat and 8 hours Sun.

Before taking the test I felt like I knew all of the technologies very well. I focused mostly on Advanced BGP, Advanced Multicast, QoS, OSPF, and EIGRP. Of course I also covered the other technologies on the blueprint. A lot of the studying was refresher from the CCNP, and diving deeper into technology.

The test itself was extremely disappointing. The questions were more ambiguous than ever, and did not test you on advanced concepts, or your understanding of how the technologies really work. The 4x CCNP tests that I've taken were A) Overall more difficult. B) Focused on the technologies. Not bizarre/ambiguous gotchas.

Some of the diagrams I had were completely ineligible!! As in, you couldn't actually see the diagram or the command output because the resolution was totally jacked. Now ambiguous questions I can deal with, but diagrams that I cannot read because they've been shrinked 10x and have some totally messed up resolution is not acceptable.

study materials:

CCIE R&S certification Guide
    Bits and pieces of Routing TCP/IP Vol I & II
    Bits and pieces of my old CCNP books
    A whole lot of RFCs
    Other peoples blog posts on various protocols & technologies
    Dynamips & some real gear

I'm looking forward to the lab!

Happy New Year. How are your studies going?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any update on CCIE lab progress?