Ticket Management suggestions

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys

do you have a suggestion on a ticket management system? I would prefer
and in house server type vs subscription. I am looking for a ticket management system to maybe be in the form of a webpage to keep track
of all our fix jobs and projects with a nice GUI interface.
Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I implemented this one at my previous job and right now have a major push for it at my new job.

Help Desk Software,IT Helpdesk Tool-ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I implemented this one at my previous job and right now have a major push for it at my new job.

Help Desk Software,IT Helpdesk Tool-ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus

We use this too, it's OK.

Remedy is the big player in this arena.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow guys these are very intensive..I mean wow lots of work just to use it..
    I am looking for something more basic but useful. enter in tickets and information about it and then prioritize it..calendar functions. and popups
    to alert me..something effective and simple....thanks guys for your help..
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Everyone wrote: »
    We use this too, it's OK.

Remedy is the big player in this arena.

Indeed, that's what we use here. It's a great system. But might be overkill for a small company.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ever hear of HP Service Manager? God I hate how it's an IE app... Something jittery happens with your network connection and there goes your ticket, poof! We also use Remedy here.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Our state uses HP's product.

I would say look into Spiceworks, if you had no budget and few people to manage. It has some kind of helpdesk system + more.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    this is what we're using

Customer Experience Management - CX | RightNow

We can email client directly from here. our IP phones are integrated in it so if a customer call in it will bring up the caller ID and open an empty ticket with all their info partially filled in.

We also have a web chat client plug in enabled. Customer can go to our site and request support via chat and it will notify us via a separate pop up window.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    We're testing freshdesk right now Help desk and customer support software - Freshdesk and I've played around with spiceworks a bit.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Your options are basically pay a lot of money for it, or spend a lot of time getting it to work.

You can pay a lot of money to have a good system installed that will do everything you want, and have support if you need it.

Or you can find an opensource solution that will take a lot of your time to get it to work the way you want it to, and more time if it breaks.

Or build your own, which again, takes a lot of time.

ServiceDesk Plus is somewhere inbetween. Not too much money, but takes a little time to get it where you want it.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Ever hear of HP Service Manager? God I hate how it's an IE app... Something jittery happens with your network connection and there goes your ticket, poof! We also use Remedy here.

I used the forerunner to HP Service Manager when it was coming from another company on one of my first post-college jobs. It was horrible and unstable then too.
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I've used Unicenter and 'TrackIT!' in larger environments. Both were clunky in their own sort of way.

Nevertheless, once use to the UI, one ignores such shortcomings and they are generally nice pieces of software.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another vote for Spiceworks if you want to get it up and running quickly (and at a great price too).
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    We use remedy too, but OTRS: Open Source Help Desk and IT Service ManagementSolution | Home is worth a look. Or just google "open source ticketing system". There are many great projects out there that are free.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    We use H2Desk, it is simple and cheap. Somethings are funky but for the amount we pay for it, who the hell cares:

Help Desk Software, Web-based Help Desk, Customer Support Software by h2desk
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use Altiris HelpDesk (new version is now called Symantec ServiceDesk).
    But we're in the process to replace it with HP Service Manager.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's quick and cheap (i.e free) Spiceworks is hard to beat - it has a pretty decent level of functionality too

Sysaid and TrackIT were decent last time I used them, although that was a few years ago.

As stated, Remedy is the big player and what we use at my current company (large mobile telecoms provider)
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks guys great stuff
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ehnde wrote: »
    We use remedy too, but OTRS: Open Source Help Desk and IT Service ManagementSolution | Home is worth a look. Or just google "open source ticketing system". There are many great projects out there that are free.

I'm a huge fan of otrs2, and run it as my personal ticket system (yes, my to-do list is in a ticketing system. im a nerd)

On the commercial side, I really like Kayako SupportSuite. It has a hosted option which is fairly reasonable, or an install your own option, which is also priced reasonably.

I hate Remedy with a passion.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Personally I like ISIS Helpdesk. Creative Internet Solutions > Home

However as mentioned previously, Remedy has the corner on the market. Although I am not a fan of Remedy.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Some things to consider before looking at the tool:

How many people are going to be using it?
    How many tickets are you looking at entering into it daily?
    Do you have time or resources to dedicate to installation, management, or support of the application you choose?
    What are the processes that it is going to support?
    Does the tools you are looking support your process out of the box or does it need to modified?
    Do you need audit capability, auto-assignment, multi-tenency, etc?

OTRS and Spiceworks are great open source tool that I would recommend, but remember that "open source doesn't mean free." It takes time to install, configure, and maintain these applications.

If you have money to burn and a great enough need for an enterprise-class solution that comes with support you might consider looking at one of the major vendors like BMC (Remedy, :P to the haters) or HP.

You can keep track of your work in Excel, Access, or a simple web form if that is all you need, but you should really sit down and figure out what those needs really are before you start to consider any one solution.

Just my 2 cents as a former Service Desk supervisor and Remedy admin, as well as someone who is in the same boat at a new job looking to replace the current system with something that better suits our needs.

Good luck!
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    We use Altiris HelpDesk (new version is now called Symantec ServiceDesk).
    But we're in the process to replace it with HP Service Manager.
    Oh god, be prepared for the occasional headache. We use HP Service Manager (SM7) and tickets just seem to go "POOF" and disappear... Better to write them out in notepad first and then enter in SM7 -_- If something happens to your network connection, say goodbye to that ticket.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I guess it depends on what you're looking for:

Free simple helpdesk: Spiceworks

Paid for, as well as being FITS/ITIL compatible: Richmond Systems.

-Ken
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just had my annual review, and one of the things that came up was our help desk system. We're using Spiceworks now, since it's a freebie (we tried for years to get TrackIT but were denied every time). The main thing I'm looking for now in a system is canned replies and the option to auto close tickets after a certain number of days (too many of my tickets end up being a Mexican standoff with the end user's less than helpful IT department and I never hear back). Now my boss is looking for something that would be able to be used by not just me, but also our training department. Basically running two help desks in one. Any ideas on that?

I'm thinking we'll have to run separate help desk systems, I know they don't want my stuff getting mixed in with theirs and I sure don't want their stuff. So if it could handle multiple help desks, that's fine but not a mandatory thing. Like I said, canned replies and auto closing tickets are the priority and if it's under $500 we can get it with no questions asked. Anything over that has to be approved by our CFO. A hosted solution is not out of the question either. Thanks for any help y'all!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At one of my employers we used osTicket which is a free (open-source) and web based.
    osTicket:: Open Source Support Ticket System

Some of the nice things about it:
    - The price was right
    - Lots of community plugins such as printable forms, new fields, statistics, etc.
    - Quick and easy to set up
    - Multiple departments (we had Helpdesk, Billing, Clients, etc.)
    - Can create tickets from an inbox (a bit of issues here at times but overall it worked well)

Cons:
    - Support is you get what you pay for
    - Updates are a bit slow for an open source project
    - Manual labour in installing/updating/mods

Overall we really liked it for what we needed it for.

Another open source one I've heard good things about is RT: Request Tracker RT: Request Tracker - Best Practical

From a commercial standpoint I've use TrackIT!, SM7 (HP), Altiris/Symantec Service desk and while they all have their strengths they also have their price tags. I think TrackIT was the best out of those three.
  • Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    Remedy for my 1st 8 years

Then the past 2 have been IssueTrak - not a fan of it, but it does what other ticketing systems do....

I've also heard of Heat, which I'm guessing is like Remedy.
  • OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We're knuckle deep in a ServiceDesk conversion, not all that impressing.
  • LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have used Remedy and RightNow. Both are good.

arwes, RightNow can do all of that.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    steve13ad wrote: »
    We're knuckle deep in a ServiceDesk conversion, not all that impressing.

What did you use before?