Becoming a software developer

modatechnomodatechno Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will be finishing my masters in applied and computational mathematics in a year or so and am considering entering into software development. I am new to this field, and have no idea how to prepare for a career in this profession. I would like to know what skills I should have (programming skills) in order to get a job as a software developer or software engineer? I know C++ and am learning Java on my own. When ever I look at job listings, I see a long list of desired skills that employers are looking for (this is for the entry level positions), is it possible to have all these skills upon graduation? Should I obtain certifications, if so, what type of certifications should I seek? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I am really confused as to how I should begin this process. Thank you so much, any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    I just started getting into programming for project stuff for work. The only advise I would is certification is'nt really a thing needed I don't think. Employees will more likely want a profolio on projects you work on. To prove your ablility a certification does'nt really do that.

I might be wrong or right I'm sure a true developer will be able give you better advise

Good luck anyway :)
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    thomas130 wrote: »
    I just started getting into programming for project stuff for work. The only advise I would is certification is'nt really a thing needed I don't think. Employees will more likely want a profolio on projects you work on. To prove your ablility a certification does'nt really do that.

I might be wrong or right I'm sure a true developer will be able give you better advise

Good luck anyway :)
    he is right if you check the job list when you find a developer job is really rare when they ask for any certification they ask for experience , projects etc with some technology example VB or java if i were you i would do some projects for free to start a portfolio or ask for some internship
    of course if you have a certification it will help you to boost you career
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Start an open source project (or heavily contribute to an existing one). See the project through, then post the design docs and code somewhere that employers can see it (github, googlecode, etc). Put it on your resume under an "open source projects" heading. Having a meaningful project under your belt that you did on your own time is great for your resume, especially for first jobs.