Ccie# 29431

jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I passed my lab yesterday in San Jose! Was my first attempt, and I am extremely relieved. Like I said in another post, I have to thank God, my loving family, coworkers, and friends. It has been quite a commitment, that took the better part of a year. I passed my written last November, and put myself on a pretty strict labbing regime. Now, I didnt completely quarantine myself from having a life, but I was close. I used INE's material almost exclusively, with the exception of a Narbik boot camp, and some Cisco 360 labs ( I highly recommend these mocks through Netmasters).

I studied about 4 hours a day per weekday, but I took 1 night off per week to spend with my wife and kiddo. On the weekends I would at least hit 6 hours per day, but shoot for 8. The real key to this is just to get super familiar with everything, and thats pretty much just rinse and repeat. I.E. Do the same INE vol 2 lab 6 times...you will learn something every time.

The lab overall was extremely hard. The TS section is a beast in the time they give you, but it is doable. You really have to concentrate on not becoming overwhelmed with the topology and massive configs. The config section was exactly what everyone says it is.."alot to do in that amount of time." But if you are well prepared you should be able to do it and have plenty of time to review for errors. Thanks again everyone...I have been in these forums since my pre-ccna days, so to be able to finally post this is awesome. Now to spend some much needed time with my son, and pregnant wife!

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Congrats man!!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Fantastic. Huge congrats.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Wow! Big congats! Didn't even know you had an attempt coming. Doing it in the first try is a great accomplishment. I have to pick your brain some day on how you prepared :) Well done Jason!
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    Congratulations! I bet the family is really happy about the pass as well.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    congrads!!!!!!!!!!icon_cheers.gif
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Congratulation!

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Way to go, man! It sounds like you've really sacrificed over the past year to get there. Was your employer supportive? Were you able to get any of those weekday hours in on the clock?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Ya reaper I kind of kept this date close to my chest if you know what I mean. Just wanted to be able to focus on it without the pressure of announcing it. During work I would read the doc-cd, and that is about it. I would spend 45 minutes during lunch vpn'd to home on my rack labbing as well. Besides that I dedicated from abou 8-11:30 to getting my time in. With the help of monster drinks at 8 pm this was possible. Thanks guys!
  • Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for Monster!! Your accomplishment is nothing less than astounding, well done sir, well done!!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    holy crap, congrats! you must feel awesome right now
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!

Normally I'd ask what's next, but this time who cares?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well done Jason. You have crammed a lot of labtime in on a regular basis giving up night after night and whole weekends. Which is what it takes to clear in a year. Enjoy some time with your family!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    huge achievement! congratulations!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HUGE congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Congrats! I hope to be like you someday

• How long did it take you to study the written?
    • How long did it take you to study for the lab, starting when you passed the written?
    • How much did you invest? on books, labs, boot camps, gears, etc?
    • Can you list the books that helped you?
    • What did you use for labbing? GNS3, your own home lab, or tokens?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed my lab
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    I studied about 4 hours a day per weekday
    Wow -- I'm happy when I get 4 hours of sleep per day. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    and some Cisco 360 labs ( I highly recommend these mocks through Netmasters).

Jason,

Im slated to do some mocks in the Autumn and was thinking about 360. How much do they cost as Im not part of the programme.

Cheers
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! A major huge accomplishment. icon_cheers.gif Now, go have some fun.icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

• aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    That's awesome, man! CONGRATS!
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    hey, do you find out immediately? if not, how long is the wait? on a CompTIA test that 30 second delay is nerve racking, I can't imagine a CCIE.

did you feel you nailed it when you did it? or were you on the fence?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the day you take it.

Don't take on Friday, you might not get results till Monday.

During M-Th it usually takes 3-6 hrs.
  • froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, welcome to the club!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! Outstanding achievement!
    Turgon wrote: »
    Jason,

Im slated to do some mocks in the Autumn and was thinking about 360. How much do they cost as Im not part of the programme.

Cheers

Hey Turgon. I went through Rauf at Netmasters...I think they were about $350. I dont know really how it works if your not a member of the program, but I am pretty sure you can get them through the Cisco store too, but they are way more expensive.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Congrats! I hope to be like you someday

• How long did it take you to study the written?
    • How long did it take you to study for the lab, starting when you passed the written?
    • How much did you invest? on books, labs, boot camps, gears, etc?
    • Can you list the books that helped you?
    • What did you use for labbing? GNS3, your own home lab, or tokens?

1. About 9 months I think...that included my trip down the CCIP path though.
    2. I passed the written in November...so like 7 months of intense lab prep.
    3. My tally is about 15k..that includes my lab, All Access Pass-INE, Narbik boot camp, books, travel, written and lab fees, mock labs, etc... This all came out of my pocket too, as work wouldnt really pay, and I really didnt want them too. I didnt want to feel tied down and I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I did not need them too.
    4. Ahh..man..lets see. Routing TCP/IP vol1/2 , Odoms Qos, MPLS Fundamentals, LAN Switching, Odoms CCIE R/S v4 Guide, All my CCNP books, Halibi's BGP...and probably some more but I cant think of them right now.
    5. I have a home lab of 2600xm's and 3640's, 3550/60's that I used to do labs from INE. If I couldnt do a task on there, I would pop open a 3725 image on GNS3 and do the task. I used remote racks of course for the mock labs (graded labs, and cisco's remote racks for the 360).