Icnd 1

in3din3d Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Originally I wasn't going to bother posting but today I took my test and failed it miserably. I feel quite defeated and I think very angry and frustrated with myself.

Im new to learning cisco pretty much but i should be able to get this. Im embarrased to admit that i started studying for this in April. Yet I still failed. I felt sort of ok during the test but there was 1 sim that i totally had to guess because i was running out of time. I figured i could at least get the other questions. I have tried to be a diligent as possible trying to pick this up believe me. Im at a loss........Can't even look at my printout.

Comments

• MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have two options:

1. Allow this defeat to get you down and not try again.icon_sad.gificon_redface.gif

2. Look at what you did wrong (the printout should have a breakdown on how scored in different areas); go back to study/review/practice until you've mastered it then try again in a few months. :Dicon_cool.gif

Many have failed the CCENT/CCNA test on their first attempt (3rd time was the charm for me). It's nothing to be ashamed of or feel defeated over. Look at this as a stepping stone and a learning experience.

Press on in3d; press on.icon_study.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    in3d wrote: »
    Originally I wasn't going to bother posting but today I took my test and failed it miserably. I feel quite defeated and I think very angry and frustrated with myself.

Im new to learning cisco pretty much but i should be able to get this. Im embarrased to admit that i started studying for this in April. Yet I still failed. I felt sort of ok during the test but there was 1 sim that i totally had to guess because i was running out of time. I figured i could at least get the other questions. I have tried to be a diligent as possible trying to pick this up believe me. Im at a loss........Can't even look at my printout.

IMHO 3 months isn't enough time to really understand all the material, I spent 6 months each on both exams studying about 20-30 hours a week. Take your time, 3 months isn't enough for a lot of people, including me. icon_smile.gif
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Trust me... I felt pretty much the same way at the end of my test. That was not a good feeling at all doing all that studying and coming to a point where you're willing to spend a chunk of your valuable change to finally bang out that test, and failing. But I've learned, by coming here, that there are soooooo many others just like you, who did not pass the first time. [It's actually questionable as to why so many do not pass, honestly, but because so many have said it's a 'fair' exam, it seems we'll have to take some comfort knowing that that first one is a doosie, and you might need a few tries actually to get it done. icon_rolleyes.gif ]

Regroup, cover your weak areas and your strong ones too just to be sure, then get back on the horse and get back to the battle. I'm currently re-studying too...lol.
  • sawyer815sawyer815 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

Don't get discouraged and you should not feel embarrassed. That's the nature of the beast if you're taking certification tests.

It's not a good feeling but we've all failed tests. Its the reason Microsoft and others offer second shots!:)
  • in3din3d Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for your kind words I appreciate your encouragement. There are alot of concepts to master and if your new, depending on experience it may or may not take alot of time. For me ha I need the time but I can understand on my own it's just the time. The only reason I have to take this is to complete a WGU class. I guess im feeling discouraged because my term is up next mo and I still have another class to complete. I have focused mainly on:

Odom's ICND1 Book (I have gone thru most of the chapters for icnd1)
    Train Signal Vids

Network Simulator (Off and on. Usually I try to follow along with vids on this)

I have these too but haven't used them as much because i was so focused on trying to get through Odom's book while watching videos. Had to read things over and over again in the book.

Flashcards from http://www.flashcardexchange.com/ (I think the cards are great, but I only found it a few days ago since somone here mentioned it.)
    Cram Master
    Lammle Book (havent gotten into this one as much but briefly read some things)

Gonna just get over today, rest and pick it up tomorrow by doing labs in the morning on the simulator. I think i may do the cram master more because of the adaptive drills etc.

Im just so pressed for time to get it done, guess i will be talking to my mentor sometime about it. Can retake on the 4th but may go for the 10th. Thanks again for listening and commenting I do appreciate it.
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Not sure on the ICND1, as I took the composite, but watch the videos to help you understand the very basics, very basics, let me repeat that again, very basics, then do it, and do it again, using simulators or real equipment, you can not learn this stuff correctly without doing it, don't do it along with the video, your not learning anything. Do the labs on your own, when it doesn't work, figure out why it doesn't work. By doing this you are not learning which button to push, you are learning how it all works together.

Sorry, I'll end my rant now, but I have read so many posts of people that watch the videos and read the books yet still fail, hands on is the best way to learn this material.

Study up on your weak areas and retest ASAP. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your kind words I appreciate your encouragement. There are alot of concepts to master and if your new, depending on experience it may or may not take alot of time. For me ha I need the time but I can understand on my own it's just the time. The only reason I have to take this is to complete a WGU class. I guess im feeling discouraged because my term is up next mo and I still have another class to complete. I have focused mainly on:

Odom's ICND1 Book (I have gone thru most of the chapters for icnd1)
    Train Signal Vids

Network Simulator (Off and on. Usually I try to follow along with vids on this)

I have these too but haven't used them as much because i was so focused on trying to get through Odom's book while watching videos. Had to read things over and over again in the book.

Flashcards from http://www.flashcardexchange.com/ (I think the cards are great, but I only found it a few days ago since somone here mentioned it.)
    Cram Master
    Lammle Book (havent gotten into this one as much but briefly read some things)

Gonna just get over today, rest and pick it up tomorrow by doing labs in the morning on the simulator. I think i may do the cram master more because of the adaptive drills etc.

Im just so pressed for time to get it done, guess i will be talking to my mentor sometime about it. Can retake on the 4th but may go for the 10th. Thanks again for listening and commenting I do appreciate it.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□

I say delay even more (the longer the better.) Rushing back into it without being fully prepared will just be another waste of $125.....
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • in3din3d Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nerdydad wrote: »
    Not sure on the ICND1, as I took the composite, but watch the videos to help you understand the very basics, very basics, let me repeat that again, very basics, then do it, and do it again, using simulators or real equipment, you can not learn this stuff correctly without doing it, don't do it along with the video, your not learning anything. Do the labs on your own, when it doesn't work, figure out why it doesn't work. By doing this you are not learning which button to push, you are learning how it all works together.

Sorry, I'll end my rant now, but I have read so many posts of people that watch the videos and read the books yet still fail, hands on is the best way to learn this material.

Study up on your weak areas and retest ASAP. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I have gone that route as far as watching and reading over and over. It is alot to absorb in a little bit of time but I am trying to pace myself with the right material. I know people have done it in short periods; thats good and admirable. Usually when something is being done sometimes i might stop the vid, then do it on my own or make note of it to do the same procedure when i designate time for doing just labs.
    MrRyte wrote: »
    I say delay even more (the longer the better.) Rushing back into it without being fully prepared will just be another waste of $125.....

yeah. I thought about just trying to get my other class over and done with while trying to study material for the icnd test but i dunno.
  • jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    Also something you can do is that if you are having a problem understanding a certain concept, feel free to post your issue here and we will do our best to help you to understand it better. That's what we're all here for: to help each other out. :)