New to the Forum A+ Question

y2adrey2adre Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I actually found this forum by mistake and found it to be exactly what I needed. I am currently reading this text book( link on the bottom), I read a good amount every night and retain pretty well. My question is did you guys retain everything you read when you read and studied? I already have a bachelors degree in economics and looking to start my own computer business by getting my certs and already having a lot of experience. Thx for the help.:)
CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Complete-Study-Guide-Application/dp/047048649X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309384272&sr=1-4#_

Comments

• joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No way did I retain everything. Read through the mike myers book one time and then made my own notes to study from at that point, plus practice tests.
  • mykie413mykie413 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    check out professor messer as well
    Professor Messer's Free 220-70x CompTIA A+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

works great watch the videos and take notes. use along with the mike meyers book. i won't share my story but i didn't do much else but watch the videos and take notes and i passed.
  • y2adrey2adre Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys for the feedback, do you think this textbook is as good as the mike meyers one?
  • bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I have read both books, and this is what I personally felt about both:

1. Sybex: More thorough, more depth, more technical, definitely more of a headache to read
    2. Meyers: More pictures/anecdotes, more conversational, broad coverage of exam topics, less difficult to read

In the end, either book will have information you need. It comes down to which book you prefer. If you already have the Sybex one, I wouldn't go out of my way to get the Meyers text, unless you feel you need it to hammer home some topics.
  • y2adrey2adre Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks, I was hoping I didnt have to buy a second book.
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    y2adre wrote: »
    thanks, I was hoping I didnt have to buy a second book.

That's almost sacrilegious around here! icon_eek.gif Many of us can't wait for a reason to buy more books!
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    The Sybex book and Professor Messer videos should be plenty of studying for the A+. All I studied for the A+ (both tests) was ucertify. I had college experience, though.