Options

Is this common?(offer letter)

grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is this common or this is the standard

Status: Your status will be that of employee, and your employment is at-will, meaning that you or the Company can terminate your employment without cause or reason at any time. As such, this letter does not constitute an employment agreement.

I've accepted the job already, but that just concerns me

Comments

• Options
    w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ha.

Yes. Welcome to the working world.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    In your offer letter does it specifically state your work hours would be set at those without a chance of them being adjusted? If not and they need you to move to another schedule they unfortunately CAN let you go if it follows company policies regarding termination. I'd still try and communicate your wishes to maintain your current schedule and see if there's another employee within your group that may be able/willing to take the schedule adjustment, but at the end of the day it comes down to you deciding whether to take the hit and adjust schedules or most likely find employment elsewhere.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    I figured it was normal, just always thought they had to have a reason, thanks for the reply
  • Options
    aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    grayfox587 wrote: »

Status: Your status will be that of employee, and your employment is at-will, meaning that you or the Company can terminate your employment without cause or reason at any time. As such, this letter does not constitute an employment agreement.

Yes, it is both common and the standard in the US of A.

"employment agreement" doesn't have a concrete definition, but it's usually used in more senior roles. I guess you're both 1) new to the company, and 2) individual contributor role?
  • Options
    yeah lemonade it doesn't say anything about hours.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Very common. Mean they can literally come to you one day and tell you your services are no longer required. No need to explain or justify anything.

At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    thanks guys, never realized that's how things were
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    grayfox587 wrote: »

California is a completely at-will state. Unfortunately its the most common in the private sector and not practiced very much in the public sector.

Welcome to the fun! icon_cheers.gif hahaha.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Keep in mind that works both ways. They can fire you but you are free to quit as well. 2 weeks notice is a courtesy, not a requirement.