speed vs static ip

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I will be moving soon. I am moving back to a city I lived for about 20 years (60 miles away from my current apartment). Since I have been gone TWC has started selling fiber services for home and business users to the tune of 50mb down, 5 mb up. I am current on business class, 10 down, 2 up w/ a static ip. I could get residential cable for about 30 dollars more a month (and get 50/5). If I want business (and my static ip) it will cost me about 200 dollars more a month. So the question becomes, what is the value of an IP address.

Notable facts:

- I do not host a web server from home, but I would like to at some point
- I do use remote access technologies but I know the ssh is possible over dyndns
- My router supports it without any issues

Any thoughts?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    At 200 dollars more a month, dyndns can serve pretty much all of your needs, especially if you have a router that supports it. 200 a month is alot of coffee and study materials.

Where are you moving, I thought you were in my area.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to ever host a website, it would be much cheaper to get a webhost with a ton of space and access. Stay with the dynamic and use dyndns.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You could lease/rent a virtual private server that is guaranteed 99.99% uptime with better speeds than that for a fraction of that cost.

If you want to host some backend stuff or whatever from home you can dyndns instead of a static ip.

edit: example of what I'm talking about - http://virpus.com/premium-vps/
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nerdydad wrote: »
    At 200 dollars more a month, dyndns can serve pretty much all of your needs, especially if you have a router that supports it. 200 a month is alot of coffee and study materials.

Where are you moving, I thought you were in my area.

Moving back up 75 friend. We still need to do an ohio guy get together (technically the second one).
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    For $200 a month you can get a dedicated server with a dedicated IP address at a hosting company as well, for less too, so I'd go for the non-static and spend that money on other things. You could still run a backup copy at home for the experience / fun.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    That's crazy that the business class is so much more. The basic business class (they label it as being for a home business) from Comcast is the same price as their residential service. I wish I could get those kinds of speeds. That's what I get for choosing to live so far out of town I guess.

I don't know if TWC does it, but one thing to watch out for is a data cap. Comcast currently has a 250 GB/month cap. If you go over it twice in 6 months, they will ban you from their service. For me, that would leave me without high speed internet, as I have no other options where I live.

I run a web server, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic right now, mostly because I never got around to finishing the website, or giving the link out anywhere. ;) I don't have a static IP, but my IP hasn't changed in the 2 years I've lived here. I own my cable modem, and it's pretty much always on.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just stick with the dynamic IP, I've had no issues with using dyndns with remote access technologies such as SSH.

On a site note, I wish TWC would start offering fiber in my area. . .
    Yea I think I am going with the dynamic ip. Thanks guys!
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    So I will be moving soon. I am moving back to a city I lived for about 20 years (60 miles away from my current apartment). Since I have been gone TWC has started selling fiber services for home and business users to the tune of 50mb down, 5 mb up. I am current on business class, 10 down, 2 up w/ a static ip. I could get residential cable for about 30 dollars more a month (and get 50/5). If I want business (and my static ip) it will cost me about 200 dollars more a month. So the question becomes, what is the value of an IP address.

Notable facts:

- I do not host a web server from home, but I would like to at some point
    - I do use remote access technologies but I know the ssh is possible over dyndns
    - My router supports it without any issues

Any thoughts?

I set up our accountant with a static VPN over a home internet connection served by time warner cable in North Carolina. We had this same discussion. It was decided that every time they got a new IP, I would simply go in and change the two VPN endpoints, it only takes a few minutes and they are back online. It has been 6 months and the IP has not changed. I think a dirty secret they don't want you to know is that their "dynamic" ip addresses are really pretty static.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if your running a linux vpn server you can have a script setup to email you the current ip every day

im fairly sure you could do it in windows as well

so static isnt needed, save the cash
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I set up our accountant with a static VPN over a home internet connection served by time warner cable in North Carolina. We had this same discussion. It was decided that every time they got a new IP, I would simply go in and change the two VPN endpoints, it only takes a few minutes and they are back online. It has been 6 months and the IP has not changed. I think a dirty secret they don't want you to know is that their "dynamic" ip addresses are really pretty static.

I've noticed that as well. I am thinking that I could just use a dyndns domain and setup openvpn or ssh to the box (the latter first, as soon as I can verify that there a functioning ssh app for honeycomb tablets).

if your running a linux vpn server you can have a script setup to email you the current ip every day

im fairly sure you could do it in windows as well

so static isnt needed, save the cash

I didn't even think about that. But that would require me to use an actual vpn server. I plan to use the openvpn implementation built into pfsense:

VPN Capability OpenVPN - PFSenseDocs

Now that I am thinking about it, ssh does sound a bit easier to setup.
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312

It is dynamic however most cable providers "bind" IP to the MAC of the CPE (your device attached to the cable modem) so as long as you don't reboot your cable modem or change your router or network card your IP will be the same.