Passed 70-680 without doing any lab!

AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've just passed the 70-680 exam today. First time to sit on a Microsoft certification exam.
I've bought a MS exams package from Prometric that gives a 20% discount on the price and a free second try on all exams.
But you have to take the first exam before June 30th. So I did not have time to do any lab.
I started to study 6 days ago. I've used the MCTS 70-680's Poulton book and the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit book.
For computer based practice exam, I've used the Measureup one that comes within the DVD of the Microsoft book.
To replace the lab, I've watched many videos found on the Technet web site, about the exam topics that I'm not familiar with.

I've got 65 questions and 3 hours allowed to answer them. There's plenty of time!
I was able to take my time and review all the questions and answers twice.
I've finished the exam in 2 hours.
Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.

Comments

• Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    congratz. Wow that is a lot of questions. I thought the max was 55 and the max time was 120 minutes.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!!icon_thumright.gif

What's next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lord Nikon wrote: »
    congratz. Wow that is a lot of questions. I thought the max was 55 and the max time was 120 minutes.
    Based on previous posts in this forum, I thought that there's between 40 and 60 questions too.
    Maybe I've got so many questions because I "lied" on the pre-exam assessment survey.
    I said on the survey that I don't know Windows 7 very much, hoping for having easier questions on the exam...
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass!!icon_thumright.gif

What's next?

I've received the Microsoft Self-Paced 70-686 book ordered from Amazon.
    So, my next exam will be the 70-686 in one or two weeks.
    I'll take a break from Microsoft cert after that.
    While waiting for my CISA exam result that I sat last June, I'll study for the CISSP-ISSAP exam for September.
    If my employer is willing to pay for the IARCB CSSA training, I'll sit on that exam.
    Otherwise, I'll challenge the CEH v7 cert.
    Finally, I'll study for the 70-640 and 70-642 before the end of this year.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    Based on previous posts in this forum, I thought that there's between 40 and 60 questions too.
    Maybe I've got so many questions because I "lied" on the pre-exam assessment survey.
    I said on the survey that I don't know Windows 7 very much, hoping for having easier questions on the exam...

LOL I did the exact same thing. I got 65 questions all three of my attempts, though. The first two times I said I know Windows 7 very well. The third time I said I had 3-6 months experience with it and rated myself very low on every question :D
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    LOL I did the exact same thing. I got 65 questions all three of my attempts, though. The first two times I said I know Windows 7 very well. The third time I said I had 3-6 months experience with it and rated myself very low on every question :D

Are the questions based on that initial survey? I didn't think Microsoft exams were adaptive, but I've had a few people say they've switched to an adaptive version...
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    PC509 wrote: »
    Are the questions based on that initial survey? I didn't think Microsoft exams were adaptive, but I've had a few people say they've switched to an adaptive version...

I had similar thoughts on the initial survey on my 643 exam last week, very much a co-incidence?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PC509 wrote: »

The questions are not based on the survey. Microsoft hasn't used adaptive tests for quite a while now. If you could manipulate the questions on an exam by simply answering a survey, M$ would shut that down ASAP.
    Check out this thread, Claymoore has some good information about it.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/63488-70-680-failed.html
  • jyrki.arpiainenjyrki.arpiainen Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lord Nikon wrote: »

I've done some 240min exams in MCSE path. Though i have had extra 30min because i'm not native english speaker.. . .
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Grats on the pass!

As far as why you got so many questions and why you had so much time, maybe you got some beta questions?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD