IPv6 Anycast

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
So who can tell me what an anycast address is?
Whats the difference between an anycast address and a unicast address i've assigned to multiple hosts.On Cisco i specify anycast after the address in the cli, what does this actually do? Routing will choose the best path to a remote subnet and hence my nearest host, is this just a new term created for the sake of it?
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    From my reading on the subject, anycast looks like multicast except that the first recipient of your anycast message to respond back to you is the winner. . . and that's the host you set up communication with. In theory, this should be the closest host to you.

As for what it's used for, beats me. The Wikipedia entry has a couple of examples, but they're kind of broad and generalized.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An anycast address is assigned from the global address space.You would use it for something like dhcp, the question is why specify a subnet as being anycast on a cisco router. What does the anycast command do?
    I can do exactly the same thing with ipv4, if i advertise the same subnet from two different locations within my network, play with costings so that there is never an equal cost path for both subnets, one will always be preferred, and packets will be forwarded to the closest subnet.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    It will disables Duplicate Address Detection and prevent that address from ever being used as the source address for an ipv6 packet.
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Whats the difference between an anycast address and a unicast address i've assigned to multiple hosts.

One difference is how such hosts would behave if they were on the same subnet.