Another job move

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I moved jobs to here 8 months ago.

Things are not all sweetness and light as I thought it would be.

Anyway, another job has appeared internally which I think I am more than capable of in a better (bigger) team, and having spoken to the training manager for them, he is more than willing to get me an interview in the next two weeks.

He said that if I can convince him I am worthy of the level they are asking (Technical Architect role) then they will get me in immediately.

If not, he would still get me in at a lower level for 6 months to see if I can cut it - if not then I think I could stay there and work on becoming a TA.

Is it bad form to move internally after 8 months though?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Might want to check with HR. Every company I've worked for has had a 12 month minimum before you can change internal roles. If not then I'd say go for it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ah yes, I've checked this - it's 3 or 6 months, so I'm good to go on that front.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Is it bad form to move internally after 8 months though?
    I don't see why moving up would be bad form and I think it will actually look good on a resume / in a career path. If the company presents you with a chance to move up to a position you will enjoy more I say go for it. Good luck!
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I don't see why it would be a problem, I moved from the NOC into engineering in under a year at my company. It's in the best interest of the company to retain talent.
    Well I have pulled the trigger and applied, and talked it over with my boss - he was very professional about it.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think that is bad form. You're in the same company so you can show stability on your resume and if the job is better pay, hours, or responsibility then nobody should blame you.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    The key is to make sure that you are able to do a proper handoff of your existing responsibilities. The downside is that if you end up not getting the job and staying in your current position, your boss may have already decided your leaving at the next opportunity and started looking for replacements.
    I've had to withdraw my application.

Looks like my team can block the application because me leaving would leave a big enough hole to render the team inoperable

Looks like I am staying put then.

Guess they like me enough to keep me!
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    What kind of company sets themselves up so that the loss of one employee cripples an entire team? What if someone gets hit by a bus?
  • nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    What kind of company sets themselves up so that the loss of one employee cripples an entire team? What if someone gets hit by a bus?
    lol icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif but an employee of that level won't take a bus ofcourse icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    BTW i don't see the reason why the company should build the team around one personicon_surprised.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
    Ah well, there was another team member who was as senior as me and he left.

Other than me, there's a university graduate and someone who got promoted from the service desk in more junior positions.
  • nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah well, there was another team member who was as senior as me and he left.

Other than me, there's a university graduate and someone who got promoted from the service desk in more junior positions.
    are you confident those 2 guys can hold the shop? If no knowledge gap exist,then i would say they should b able to handle the enterprise networks
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jtoast wrote: »
    The downside is that if you end up not getting the job and staying in your current position, your boss may have already decided your leaving at the next opportunity and started looking for replacements.
    Not trying isn't really an option either imo (someone else will). But in any case it sounds (now) like his boss refuses to look for a replacement.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.
    Guess they like me enough to keep me!
    Well, being appreciated is right up there with "getting paid" and "job task" when it comes to a job. :D