10Base-T etc... question regarding the exam

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
Hey guys, I'm prepping for my exam Tuesday and am having difficulty memorizing the ethernet cable properties. I know the first number represents the bits per second but when it gets to 10GBase-EW and such I get really confused because I can't seem to come up with a mnemonic to work for the distance it covers and the cable type (although it seems like whenever T is included it means its some type of twisted cabling?). Does anyone have any suggestions to help? I feel like I had ten more questions I wanted to ask the forum but am now completely blanking... lol. Hopefully I remember them later or better yet figure out the answer icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Flash cards are useful for memorizing stuff like that, you can use software for to create them (some free apps on mobile devices too) or write them down on paper. The latter, writing them down, will by itself help you memorize them.

Reading about the different Ethernet specs from different sources will help too. Seemingly "boring" trivia like this is always easier to remember if you really take an interest in it, e.g. look at physical examples, check prices online etc. At some point the more common (or just the first on your list) will stick in your memory and you can focus on the rest.

Good luck!
  • rburns67rburns67 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm prepping for my exam Tuesday and am having difficulty memorizing the ethernet cable properties. I know the first number represents the bits per second but when it gets to 10GBase-EW and such I get really confused because I can't seem to come up with a mnemonic to work for the distance it covers and the cable type (although it seems like whenever T is included it means its some type of twisted cabling?). Does anyone have any suggestions to help? I feel like I had ten more questions I wanted to ask the forum but am now completely blanking... lol. Hopefully I remember them later or better yet figure out the answer icon_thumright.gif

I am not familiar with mnemonic devices for cable lengths, but I do know this every practice test I have taken including the official from Comptia has only asked for the maximum cable length, so for right now that is what I have focused on. So for 10GBaseEr/EW maximum length = 40km, I am taking my network+ July 5 so I'll will let you know how it officially works out for me but just a suggestion.

Also you would be correct about the "T" being copper based, "F" is fiber but there are a couple of variations.
    copper = "CX"
    fiber = "SX" "LX" "SR/SW" "LR/LW" "ER/EW"

On another note something that has helped me tremendously in studying, is making a table of all the cable types, speeds, and lengths and typing it out. The reason I did this is because I learn visually much better than anything else, so by typing/writing it out I am visually placing it in my mind rather than trying to memorize random facts. Maybe try something like this yourself, get inventive with how you study.

Just a suggestion, but good luck to you however you choose to go about it.