Boss dislike me?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Recently, it *appears* as if the boss doesn't like me. I still do work but i don't work as hard like i used to when i started in my first 6-7 months. I was told that there are tons of opportunities but it's the opposite. Hard to motivate myself to work harder and learn more. I changed slightly because i found out that there is no career growth within the company, salary is locked and will not increase even if i work here for years. It could take 3-5 years to move to another department and it's way too long!! It seems like some of my colleagues received schedule training and i didn't. So I feel awkward. It seems like the manager knows my plan and knows that i might leave soon. And yes, i do plan to resign once i find a better opportunity. It could be tomorrow or even soon. i'm getting the feeling that the longer i stay, they expect more of me. but i honestly dont enjoy the working here.

I want to leave in good terms but maybe im overthinking this whole situation?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If I was your boss I wouldn't think to highly of you with that attitude either. They pay you to work hard whether there is room for advancement or not.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I agree with networker050185. I hated my last job so much that I couldn't even sleep some days. When I resigned they did not see it coming because I kept doing my best until the last day.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Your performance should never be primarily motivated by possible opportunities of growth within a company, because when you hit salary caps and such you stop caring.

There will be no particular moment in life where you will be like "Ah Huh! I have made it, my life is all set!" Even if your a billionaire or married your soul mate. There is simply no destination in life. It is a CONSTANT journey until you die. One quote I love by Tony Robbins is "Either you grow, or die."

I look at life and realize one day when I die, all that is really left is my materialistic things that my kids will probably fight over. I want to leave behind a legacy/positive memories of me, by being the best man that I can be. I genuinely do 100% in all tasks, and I do it only for myself. It makes me sleep soundly at night and makes me wake up every morning with a smile smile.

Make work your best friend. You would never slack, or treat your best friends like $@% right? Think of slacking off, not doing 100% at work as insulting yourself and your best friend.

Just got to change your philosophy mate!

^^ If all this does not motivate you. Then do realize how fortunate you are to even HAVE a job. I personally know of households living in apartments with 8-12 people. Many people would do anything to have a job, ESPECIALLY a IT related job where they do not have to do labor intensive work, or do nasty stuff like clean bathrooms, gutters etc.
  • afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    The best advice I think is this. Put your best foot forward everyday at work and you can make job opportunities appear. they may not be with this company but you can have them someplace else. If the job isn't enjoyable its time to change jobs. You should put yourself in place you want to go to work at but in the meantime you need to stay positive.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with the posters. Also from the way you have put it, the damage has been done. You'd best find another position sooner than later.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    It sounds like you've corn-holed yourself. Not a good career plan. If the job sucks and you don't like it, then suck it up until something better comes along. Then and only then do you make your intentions known. Best of luck.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I agree with networker050184. I hated my last job so much that I couldn't even sleep some days. When I resigned they did not see it coming because I kept doing my best until the last day.
    I agree with him too :D. You should always plan to come to work and put forth your best effort. Your employer sure expects you to. Thats why they pay you! O_O
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    laptop wrote: »
    I still do work but i don't work as hard like i used to when i started in my first 6-7 months. I was told that there are tons of opportunities but it's the opposite. Hard to motivate myself to work harder and learn more. I changed slightly because i found out that there is no career growth within the company, salary is locked and will not increase even if i work here for years. It could take 3-5 years to move to another department and it's way too long!! It seems like some of my colleagues received schedule training and i didn't. So I feel awkward. It seems like the manager knows my plan and knows that i might leave soon. And yes, i do plan to resign once i find a better opportunity. It could be tomorrow or even soon. i'm getting the feeling that the longer i stay, they expect more of me. but i honestly dont enjoy the working here.
    Things are rarely black-and-white. When I accepted my first junior sysadmin position (internal helpdesk with light SA duties), I was told by the hiring HR person that they would expect me to stay for 6-12 months, and then move to a better position with another company because there was no room for growth within the company. (It was rather strange to hear that from an HR person, but I appreciated their straight-forwardness) I took the job and turned things around. Took the first few months to settle in and worked hard on my immediate duties, then started asking my boss to offload some of his technical projects to me and worked hard on completing them. Over the next few years (yes, career growth does take years) I became deeply involved in all aspects of managing our IT infrastructure, and as the result: (a) increased my value to the company, (b) had title changed twice, (c) received a considerable raise upon attempt to leave (one that was not typical for the company, but then so was my case), (d) obtained diverse skillset, partially expanded by own initiatives while performing the function.

Result: my journey with the company was completely different from what the HR told me at the very beginning and from what I pictured during my first few months.

Morale: (a) future opportunities may not been seen or appreciated in present, (b) attitude creates opportunities.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not sure what your question is, but yes your boss probably does dislike you. You are giving him a valid reason to by not performing at your best. You are paid a salary to give your best, whether or not you are motivated doesn't factor in as a valid reason for not performing. I would start looking for a new job if you are unhappy.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If theres a position in another department that would interest you, would you stay those 3 to 5 years to prove that you have it takes?

I didn't like my first job because of my boss. But I stayed and worked hard because thats what I was getting paid to do. There was no room for advancement and people were getting raises quicker than I was. Other things stacked against me but I sucked it up and did what I had to do while I was there. I suggest the same to you. At least you have a job. There are a lot of people that don't have a job and would be happy to take your position just to have a job. Don't give you're employer a reason to get rid of you. Stay motivated in everything you do even if you don't like it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with ess. Sounds like your best move is to find a new gig. I have friend who was in your situation he ended up taking a lateral to another p
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It all depends. If they were deceptive to you in hiring you. Happend to me b4 then I would be looking for a new gig. You always have to pay your dues at any job before they trust you on important operations, but if they told you one thing and showed you another I would be weary of them too. However with that said the with the job you currently have its up to you to work 100 percent in the current job role. You always do your best with your current work, that is why your boss is not liking you. I think its up to you to build that reputation back. Ask for a mid year meeting so you can get a idea of where your at, where you would like to go and what are there current expectations of you.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A year later and this response from Boz to you still rings true.
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    No offense dude, but your small potatoes to that guy and its inconvenient to have to interview someone. Seriously, you get offended by someone drinking coffee in front of you?

Perhaps you should take the chip off your shoulder and not be so easily offended. You have a very narrow-sighted view on this industry. IT managers ARE at the top. It sounds like you have a problem with authority. It sounds like you're the one that's destroying your chances.

Modify it a bit for the current situation, but you essentially have the same problem you've had in all the threads you've started like this.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%