Starting my first sys admin job next week

willanderson1111willanderson1111 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am moving from desktop support where I did very little SA functions. I am a bit nervous and fearful of how this new gig is going to turn out. There will 1 Sharepoint Admin, 1 SA (me) and a breakfix guy. Any tips or suggestions?

Comments

• ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    I am moving from desktop support where I did very little SA functions. I am a bit nervous and fearful of how this new gig is going to turn out. There will 1 Sharepoint Admin, 1 SA (me) and a breakfix guy. Any tips or suggestions?

Just wanted to congratulate you! I am a recent grad and have a interview tomorrow for a Desktop Support Analyst, which I know will lead into a Sys Admin position in a year or two.

Be comfortable with being uncomfortable my man. This is how you will succeed in life. Thoughts of doubt and fear do nothing but lead to failure. Think positive everyday. Your mind is like a garden. You must cultivate it aka water the plants, remove weeds etc. If you don't maintain it then naturally a messy jungle full of weeds shall grow. Weeds = thoughts of negativity, fear and doubt. Beautiful garden = positive thoughts.

Best of luck mate, you'll do fine!
  • nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□

i really don't see the reason why you should be nervous.Are you not knowledgeable enough to handle the position?in my opinion I would say NO because you won't be solving problems everyday.You can get to know more about the entire infrastructure.with your knowledge of networks(which i assume you have), you can succeed so don't look down upon yourself.
    Good luck icon_cheers.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats on the new job! Just do your best, I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The nervousness is understandable, but think of it this way - you have already been assessed and determined to have the right skill set for the job - so (unless you severely misrepresented your experience) you don't need to worry that the duties will be way over your head. Just be prepared to absorb A LOT of new information within the first few weeks.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride! :)

Is the SA position with the same company? When are you starting?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    It's normal to be uncomfortable going into a new position...especially a higher level one. That's the only way to keep progressing, though. You have to continue to learn and grow. Don't hesitate to ask your coworkers for help or clarification when it's needed......and make Google your homepage. icon_thumright.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with xeno, when in doubt - ask. You'll do just fine, settle in nicely, make some friends and remember Google is always there!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • willanderson1111willanderson1111 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is the SA position with the same company? When are you starting?

Yes, is the same company and I am starting next week.

Thanks guys for all the encouragementicon_thumright.gif
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, is the same company and I am starting next week.
    Well, have a good relaxing weekend then :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs